• blueandgold
  • amazon
  • facebook
  • easyfundraising
  • twitter
Blue & Gold Trust Official Website

Cambridge Town 3 King's Lynn 1 [aet]
4th October 1947
HOW LYNN withstood an almost incessant attack during the second half of their F.A. cup first round match at Cambridge on Saturday, to force extra time, was the most remarkable feature of an uninspiring game
One thing emerged from the gruelling to which they were subjected, and that was the excellence of the two full backs, Backham and Rowe. With :handler, in goal, they played inspired football.
These three were the most lard worked players on the Field, yet they finished, after 120 minutes, as fresh as any- me. Time and again when it seemed Cambridge would score the winning goal, one of them would emerge from the penalty area or the goalmouth with the ball and clear.
Chandler played a grand game, and received a special ovation from a section of the 5,000 crowd as he left the field, but on occasions he had luck with him. Once when the ball was heading for the net it was deflected into his arms by another Cambridge forward, another time the ball was kicked into his arms when he was on the ground after attempting to clear a goal- mouth melee.
He could not be blamed for any of the three goals Cambridge scored one in the first half and one in each half of extra time for he played splendidly, and his handling of the continual centres from either wing was delightful.
Lynn began in good style and for the first half an hour had a fair share of the play. Two free kicks to Cambridge just outside the penalty area brought no results. The first was neatly caught 'by Chandler under the bar, the second sizzled past the post.
A similar kick for Lynn, led to them taking the lead. after 20 minutes. Rebounding from the post the ball was deflected over the bar for a corner. Wiseman placed the ball nicely and several attempts by the Lynn forwards ended in BULLEN putting through his own goal.
Cambridge improved a lot after this and delighted their supporters with some clever moves, but it was not until 115 minutes later that they equalised. There was a scramble in the Lynn goal- mouth after a corner taken by Wood, and BARNARD shot through from close range. Ten minutes later Ferguson netted with a beautifully placed header from Harmer's free kick, but was ruled offside.
The second half saw Cambridge continually on the attack. Rarely did the ball get into their half of the field. and when it did there was only one or two Lynn forwards there to use it. Rippen tried hard, but not once was he able to evade the veteran Sodding- ton, and Coxon, in goal, did not have a single difficult shot to deal with.
At the other end practically the whole Lynn team were fully occupied in defending their goal, and helped by some poor finishing by the Cambridge forwards, held out until full time.
Backham, Rowe and Chandler excelled themselves, Wilson clung to Barnard like a leech, and Armeson came to the rescue occasionally with some fine headers.
In attempting a solo effort on the left wing, Rippen was injured and carried off on a stretcher, but he returned during the first half of extra time.
The Lynn goal had its most remarkable escape a few minutes before time. Rose centred from the left wing and the balk glanced along the front of the crossbar, hit the far post and rebounded back across the goal-line where Chandler managed to scramble it away. Many supporters cheered for a goal, but the referee waved play on.
In the opening minutes of extra time, with Cambridge still on the attack, there was more excitement in the Lynn goalmouth. Barnard shot from close range only for the ball to rebound to Ferguson, who, standing unmarked a few yards out, crashed it back, but Rowe was there to deflect it round the post with his knees. After 10 minutes Cambridge took the lead. Chandler pushed a close range shot from Woods on to the bar and before he could recover ROSE shot through from the rebound.
By this time Cambridge were well and truly on top. With delightful quick- passes they ran rings round the tired Lynn players, though they still found the backs and goalkeeper difficult to overcome. Towards the end came the best goal of the match. Barnard cleverly eluded Wilson, cut in, and squared the ball to WOOD, who fired in a terrific first-time shot.

Lynn: A. Chandler; E. Backham, N. Rowe; A. Burnett, J. Wilson, L. Armeson; G Wiseman, H, Barrett W. Rippen, D. Pearce, W. Collison.
Cambridge: E. R. Coxon; W. Harmer, H. Bullen; R. S. Curtis. R. G. Saddington, F. D. Cray; J. Wood, G. Ferguson, F. Barnard, J, Chapman, N. Rose.
Referee: Mr. A. H. Young (Newmarket).
Report by permission of the Lynn News