• blueandgold
  • amazon
  • facebook
  • easyfundraising
  • twitter
Blue & Gold Trust Official Website

Corby Town 0 King's Lynn 1
5th May 1984
Marty Wiles with his second goal in a month gave the Linnets a winning end to their Southern League season on Saturday.
A cool temperament and accurate finishing was shown by the talented defender who had been pushed into a more forward role in the latter stages of the game.
Wiles struck in the 71st minute when the Linnets switched play quickly with a long ball forward.
On the hard ground, covering Corby defender Ferns missed the bounce and that let in Wiles who steadied himself before shooting past keeper Johnson.
That was the first goal Corby had conceded at home in the league since December - and in fact the Steelmen had been unbeaten on their ground in that time following the appointment of John Flannagan as player manager.
But statistics over the years show that Corby were always going to find it difficult against the Linnets.
In 15 visits to Corby in Southern League fixtures, the Linnets have never been beaten and their record now is eight draws and seven victories.
Only once in 30 games home and away have Corby ever managed to beat the Linnets - and that was in early January when they won by the only goal at The Walks in a result which started Keith Rudd's side on a slide from the top of the table.
While the Linnets finished with a victory on Saturday, so also did Dartford with a 2-0 success at Sutton Coldfield which guarantees then the Southern League championship.
Runners-up Fisher Athletic could only draw at Welling and now with only one game to play they are six points behind.
Although the Linnets went to Corby without the suspended Freddie Easthall and Richard Johnston, they started off at a lively pace and should have taken a 16th minute lead.
Rudd beat the offside trap and teed the ball up for Chris Watts, but his side-foot was blocked. Jim Kabia moved in on the rebound and his shot was deflected on to the post and behind for a corner.
Generally the first half play was tight and when Corby pushed forward they found the positioning and handling of Lynn keeper Andy Claxton always sure.
Corby had a good spell early in the second half and one neat chip by Flannagan which looped over Claxton landed on the roof of the net.
Mark Howard went off to be replaced on the left by Wiles, with substitute Martin Lindsay filling in the full back spot. Soon after this Corby had a clear chance through Clayton who was all alone at the far post, but Claxton came to Lynn's rescue.
The action was now fast and furious. When Kabia covered a lot of ground to get in a shot, Johnson smothered it and then diverted the ball away with his legs as Adams moved in.
Almost immediately, Clayton shot straight at Claxton and while Corby were regretting that miss, Wiles went through to get the decisive goal.
Corby: Johnson, Ferns, Hesk, Bradshaw, Ladd, Flannagan (sub McQuire 71 mins), Lane, D Smith, Clayton, S Smith, Walker.
Lynn: Claxton, McJannet, Cckeril, Foster, Wiles, Watts, Adams, Kabia, Howard (sub Lindsay 63 mins), Rudd, Coupe.
Referee: J Masters (Oakington).
Report by permission of the Lynn News