• blueandgold
  • amazon
  • facebook
  • easyfundraising
  • twitter
Blue & Gold Trust Official Website

King's Lynn 2 Corby Town 1
5th September 2006
THE fact that Lynn went back to the top of the league with their 2-1 home win over Corby on Tuesday was overshadowed by Shaun Carey suffering a double leg fracture.
The ex-Norwich City midfielder broke his right leg in two places and was stretchered off after an horrendous challenge by Corby's Robbie Maddox in the 40th minute.
P. McCaul, the Hunts FA referee, should have brandished an immediate red card for the late and dangerous tackle from behind.
But after consulting his assistant, and to the dismay of Lynn players and fans, who reacted with remarkable restraint, a yellow card was the decision for the disgraceful foul.
The result was gained by a goal in each half for Lynn.
It was poetic justice that Carey's replacement Michael Frew scored his first goal for the club with his first touch after receiving a through ball from Dean West and sliding low past the keeper's right just before half-time.
This must be the quickest-ever goal by a Lynn sub.
By now, Carey was on his way by ambulance to hospital.
Lynn had clawed their way back into the match after not the brightest of starts.
Jamie Clarke, one of three ex-Linnets among the Steelmen's starting XI, had headed a free-kick wide for the first chance of the match on seven minutes.

Before their goal, Adam Smith, who later limped off during a physical encounter, came the closest for Lynn with a free-kick that did not curl in enough to threaten Darren Watts' goal-frame.
Within 100 seconds of the second half, the referee seemed to make up for his mistake by awarding The Walks outfit a soft penalty when Matt Nolan went down under a gentle push.
Grant Cooper had his penalty saved but the spot-kick was ordered to be retaken by the assistant, and Kevin Byrne was booked for his protests.
Mark Warren this time took the kick and buried it to the keeper's right.
Lynn seemed in control of the game at this stage, but let Corby back into it.
Clarke scored a soft goal when Shaun Marshall could only parry an effort from Byrne.
With Jack Defty also limping off, Lynn hung onto the points and their summit position.
It was not without the odd scare, Byrne sending a snap-shot just over while on the floor.
At the other end, Matt O'Halloran crossed, and sub Paul Atkins' first-time shot was blocked by skipper Bobby White.
Lynn: Marshall, West, Smith (C. Defty 50), Warren, Cooper, Camm, J. Defty (Atkins 56), Carey (Frew 44), Nolan, McMahon, O'Halloran. Not used: Kennedy, Toms.
Booked: Cooper. Goals: Frew 44, Warren 50.
Corby: Watts, Maddox, Hallows (Massingham 74), Towers (Goodman 79), Burrows, White, Darby (Marshall 56), Goodwin, Byrne, Clarke, Holmes. Not used: Guiney, Elliot.
Booked: Maddox, Byrne. Goal: Clarke 68.
Att: 779. Referee: P. McCaul (Hunts).  
Report by permission of the Lynn News