• blueandgold
  • amazon
  • facebook
  • easyfundraising
  • twitter
Blue & Gold Trust Official Website

King's Lynn 4 Chertsey 0
5th October 2002
SHOT-HUNGRY Linnets earned a home draw with local rivals Stamford on November 2 after a comfortable win.
Lynn racked up a shopping list of chances against a clueless Chertsey defence, who we're reduced to ten men in the 73rd minute and were spared a cricket-style scoreline by keeper Mark Pisani's acrobatics.
Lynn somehow only scored four, Carl Holmes' brace making it three goals in two cup ties, in the first time thay have played Chertsey.
Paul Raynor was at the centre of everything as Lynn swarmed forward for most of the game, directing play from midfield, shouting himself hoarse, doing his trademark dummy throw-in routine and having a hand in half the goals.
Glen Fuff, who had a presentation from the club for making his 200th appearance (see back page), was his usual no-nonsense self.
The Walks outfit soon put early pressure on, and in the ninth minute went ahead when Lee Stephenson flicked on.
HOLMES was quick to the ball and beat the advancing keeper.
The Curfews replied when Warren Burton volleyed wide when wellplaced. But Lynn doubled. their lead on 16 minutes when Raynor's swift free-kick found Stephenson, who turned and again provided the goal for HOLMES with a diving header.
David Staff, Stephenson and Holmes all went close before Chertsey's Lee Taylor hit the bar with a header from a corner.
Pisani tipped Raynor's 25-yard volley on to the bar, blocked Paul Watts' shot with his legs and in the second half Watts hit the top of the bar.
You can usually tell how bad a side is playing when a sub comes on for a sub - the Curfews' Symon James came on at half-time and lasted just 15 minutes before being replaced.
More heroics from Pisani further denied Watts and Stephenson, while Staff hit the post.
As the game got niggly Taylor, who had previously got away with some hefty challenges, kicked Watts. After the linesman separated Taylor to defuse the resulting melee, the referee consulted the linesman and showed Taylor the red card.
Justice was done from the Raynor free-kick, which Johnson flicked on and WATTS dived in to head home with the away defence asleep.
STEPHENSON got the fourth with ten minutes left, letting the ball bounce once before volleying in.
Lynn had the ball in the net again following good work from sub Pablo Ortega, but this was disallowed.
With Dean Greygoose suspended for his sending off at Newport, teenage keeper Tom Dobrowolski made his competitive first team debut. Although he had little to do, he commanded his area well and made no mistakes.

Lynn: Dobrowolski, Anderson, Staff, Gowshall, Fuff, Johnson, Weston (Ortega 83), Raynor, Watts (Blake 81), Stephenson, Holmes. Subs not used: Cowling Jones, Nobes.
Chertsey: M. Pisani, L. Taylor, T. Davies, K. Bere, C. Gould, R. D'Austin (S. James h-t - M. Griffin 61), A. Nsubuga (D. Barrett 52), W. Burton, J. Pomroy, P. Read, O. Hunt. Not used: T Maloney.
Att: 601.
Referee: M. Webb (Cambridge).
Shots on
Shots off
Free kicks
Chertsey156514 Burton (58, dissent)
Taylor (73, kicking)
Lynn News Man of the Match - Paul Raynor
Report by permission of the Lynn News