• blueandgold
  • amazon
  • facebook
  • easyfundraising
  • twitter
Blue & Gold Trust Official Website

Welling United 0 King's Lynn 1
6th April 2002

THE Linnets notched a vital win to haul themselves out of the relegation spots, with sub Paul Watts grabbing the only goal in a game which saw three players dismissed.
It also meant coach Peter Morris recorded his first win since returning to the Linnets.
"It was nice to win it. It was hard work in the conditions with a high wind and a bone hard ground," Morris said.
"No way can Paul (Raynor) do that, he got booked, then pulled a shirt in front of the referee," he said of Lynn's sending off
On Lynn's goal it he added "Paul Watts could have had two or three, he hit the wood work twice"
A strong, gusting wind made the game something of lottery, with the home side playing against the wind in the first half.
Linnet Paul Raynor went into the book as early as the third minute for kicking the ball away after handling, and a minute later only the cross-bar saved the visitors after Tommy Tyne's lob from Russell Edwards' delivery.
Tyne set up Anthony Hogg, who mis-hit his effort wide.
Linnets had an early setback after Lee Hudson was helped off on 16 minutes. Watts replacing him.
The Walks outfit had the better of the conditions in the first half, and almost went ahead through Brett McNamara, who had his shot cleared off the line.

Welling keeper Glen Knight denied Raynor after 25 minutes, and Edwards headed off the line from Craig Clark three minutes later
Lew Watts then perhaps contributed to Welling's eventual defeat. A straight red card for apparent violent conduct in the penalty area also resulted in a penalty award.
However, Knight dived to his left to save Adie Hayes' spot kick.
David Staff got the better of a 50-50 challenge with Welling skipper Mike Rutherford. and forced a good parry from Knight. Watts was on hand to tap in on 33 minutes.
Immediately after, Raynor was sent off for his second bookable offence for use of an elbow on Welling's Dave Powell, while Powell was shown a straight red.
The nine-man home side were up against it after the break as Staff hit the bar after 63 minutes
Hogg almost levelled for the Wings, keeper Steve Wilson having to back-pedal to catch.
Back came the visitors, ex-Welling substitute Zeke Rowe crossed for Watts to head over.
Watts then headed against a post from a corner. Predictably, the visitors finished the stronger, Rowe again providing for Watts, but Knight was equal to the downward header.

Lynn: Wilson, Dakin, March, Start Fuff, Clark, Anderson, Raynor, Hudson (Watts 14), McNamara (Rowe 61), Hayes. Sub not used:Clarke.
Welling: Knight, Watts, Powell, Hone (Johnson 67), Edwards (Brown 85), Lindsey, Riviere, Rutherford, Bryant, Tune, Hogg (Adeniyi 76).
Referee: C. Hayes (Godalming, Surrey) Att: 494. MoM: Paul Watts.
Sent off, Linnets: Raynor
Wings: Watts, Powell,
Report by permission of the Lynn News