• blueandgold
  • amazon
  • facebook
  • easyfundraising
  • twitter
Blue & Gold Trust Official Website

Frickley Athletic 1 King's Lynn 1
6th October 2009
THE Linnets were denied a valuable three points by a late equaliser on Tuesday night.
Frickley substitute Lee Morris came off the bench to snatch a late point for the hosts after on-loan striker Kwesi Appiah had fired Lynn in front early in the second half.
Linnets boss Carl Heggs said: "It was a difficult place to go and I never want to go there again if I don't have to.
"You can see why they've stayed in the league and have such a good home record, it's a tough, tough place to go.
"It was an awful night weather-wise and that is not an excuse but you couldn't do anything on the ball, get it down or try to pass it.
"For me it's a point closer to where we want to be."
Heavy rain made it difficult for both sides, while referee Mr Storrie caused confusion to both teams with some of his decisions.
Heggs restored himself to the line-up alongside Appiah, while Ben Muirhead was handed his debut at the expense of Ryan Beswick.
Chances were few and far between in the first period.
A Muirhead free-kick in the second minute saw Joe Magunda test Adam Nicklint with a header while, at the other end, Andy Holt went close with a long-range effort.
Twelve minutes before the break, Nicklin needed two attempts to hold a low 20-yard shot from Appiah, while at the other end Michael Price and Matty Bloor combined for Danny Walsh to test Danny Gay.
Frickley finished the half the stronger with Holt being robbed of the ball when setting himself to shoot before the same player saw an effort cleared off the line.
Gay was alert to a 20-yard shot from White three minutes after the restart and a few minutes later Owen Story missed a glorious chance to put Lynn in front when he headed wide from six yards with only the keeper to beat.
Appiah broke the deadlock in the 58th minute when he showed a real turn of speed before lobbing the advancing Nicklin.
Morris replaced Towler midway through the second half and pounced to level in the 80th minute after a cross from Holt had been headed on by Danny Clarke.
Three minutes later a White free-kick found Walsh, whose shot was blocked and Clarke's subsequent effort from the rebound was diverted off the line.
White beat three defenders in a mazy run soon after but fired his effort high over the target.
Frickley Athletic: A. Nicklin, S. Pierrepont, M. Price, D. Walsh, S. Heath, D. Jones, M. Bloor (D. Clarke 74), P. Lindley, N. Towler (L. Morris 67), A. Holt, C. White. Subs not used: L. Booth, D. Grace, B. Simpson.
Lynn: Gay, Aisien, Spencer, Palmer, Boyce, Rowe-Turner, Story (J Smith 77), Magunda, Heggs, Appiah, Muirhead (Beswick 87). Subs not used: Webb, Smedley, McAnally.
Referee: Mr D. I. Storrie.
Report by permission of the Lynn News