• blueandgold
  • amazon
  • facebook
  • easyfundraising
  • twitter
Blue & Gold Trust Official Website

Workington 1 King's Lynn 1
6th December 2008
LINNETS boss Keith Webb declared himself satisfied with Lynn's Blue Square North point at Workington on Saturday.
Jack Defty cancelled out Jonny Wright's first-half opener for the Reds in the first match of a double-header against the Cumbrian-based side at Borough Park.
The sides meet again on Saturday in the FA Trophy.
Webb said: "To be fair to Workington their goal gave them a lift and were hanging on a bit towards the end of the first half.
"I think the two Workington strikers were as good a front pair as we have played against this season.
"They gave us a bit of trouble with their movement and work rate."
Webb added: "Words were said at half-time as I thought one or two players just weren't at the races and we got a positive reaction.
"We made a couple of changes and we started to play more of an expansive game which helped us to get at them more.
"I think most people seemed to agree that a draw was a fair result. Workington took the first-half and we did the same in the second."
Darren Edmondson, Webb's opposite number, said: "I thought we started off really well but we needed that second goal.
"Lynn made a couple of changes in the second-half, and to be fair I thought that improved them.
"They had a fair bit of the play without causing us a lot of problems but they have some big lads and that was always going to be a worry if they got it in the right areas."
Lynn's only change saw Greg Crane replace the injured Bradley Thomas at the back.
The Walks outfit had the chance to break the deadlock when Scott Mitchell screwed his effort wide after five minutes.
Linnets keeper Scott Howie did well to turn Tony Hopper's low shot around the post a minute later before the hosts opened the scoring after 19 minutes.
Anthony Wright's corner was cleared from the penalty area and came back to him out wide on the right.
His deep cross found Gareth Arnison at the back post and his knockback was converted by Jonny Wright for his fifth goal of the campaign.
The Workington goalscorer saw another effort fizz wide of the post, while Greg Crane's flick from Michael Frew's centre was turned over the bar by home goalkeeper Adam Collin.
Lynn displayed more purpose after the interval, although it took a fine challenge from Crane to deny Arnison a shooting chance on the hour-mark.
A brave block from Workington's Kyle May foiled Defty at the other end, but from the resulting Frew corner Defty glanced in from close range for his 85th career goal in Lynn colours.
Both teams picked up nasty-looking injuries in the second period.
Linnets defender Ben Chapman was taken off with a recurrence of his shoulder injury midway through the half, while Craig Johnston, Workington's longest-serving player, tore his lateral ligaments towards the end of the game and faces several weeks in plaster.
Workington: Collin, Hewson, Roundtree, May, Andrews, McLuckie (Johnston 78, Coleman 90), Vipond, Hopper, J. Wright, Arnison, A. Wright (Hardman 83). Subs not used: Robinson, Tate.
Lynn: Howie, Weaver, Chapman (Francis 65), Graham, Crane, Camm, Frew, Mitchell (Fisk 78), J Defty, Joachim (Turner 57), Smith. Subs not used: Sedgemore and Murray.
Referee: C. Buxton, Accrington.
Att: 325. MoM: Scott Mitchell.
Report by permission of the Lynn News