• blueandgold
  • amazon
  • facebook
  • easyfundraising
  • twitter
Blue & Gold Trust Official Website

Bishop Auckland 4 King's Lynn 2
7th March 1979
LYNN saw joy turned to tragedy within a minute in their FA Trophy 2nd round tie at Bishop Auckland on Wednesday night.
With this dramatic turn of events they saw their hopes of success in the competition disappear.
Defender Richard Johnston was the unlucky Lynn player and his 72nd minute own goal will haunt for him for some considerable time to come.
When Bishop Auckland's Brian Coulson crossed the ball from the left Johnston sliced his clearance from six yards past Phil Ringwood, who came off his honeymoon specially to play in the match, and the 'keeper had no chance.
This goal came only 3 minute after Duncan Wiles, who fought and forged an effective striking partnership with Trevor Moden, had put Lynn level with a well-taken goal following a solo run.
Both Wiles and Moden troubled the Bishop Auckland defence with their cross-field runs, but unfortunately neither they nor their mid-field colleagues were able to put my sustained pressure on the home defence
Mick Wright played well in the Lynn defence often breaking up the Bishop Auckland attacks and Johnston was also forceful.
Ringwood was called upon to make a good save in the first minute and he turned a shot from Tom Sword for a corner. The Bishops made the running in the early stages and deservedly went ahead in the 15th minute when Brian Coulson crossed the ball from the right for Alan Suggett to slide it into the net.
The game was some 23 minutes old before Lynn got in their first dangerous raid. Then Wiles beat three defenders before getting in a shot which forced Bert Garrow to save at the expense of a corner.
Shortly afterwards David Goose shot well wide following a move between Wiles and Chris Watts.
It looked all over for 'Lynn when the Bishops increased their lead in the 48th minute. A crossfield pass from Joe Graham found Allan Suggett on the left and he in turn put in a low cross which went to the far fide of the Lynn goal for Ian Sword to stab the ball into the net
However, a minute later Wiles crossed the ball from the right for Modem to give Garrow no chance
Neither set of forwards looked dangerous in subsequent play, but the respective defences gave little away. In fact it was an individual effort from Wiles that put Lynn on terms in the 71st minute and this goal, while deserving the high praise it got from the home spectators. certainly stunned them.
Then a minute later came Johnston's mistake and from being in with a chance to force a replay, Lynn found, themselves facing another uphill struggle, which this time was too much for them.
The Bishops settled the issue in the 80th minute when Coulson put Tommy Waugh into possession and the latter placed the ball for Keith Brown to give Ringwood no chance with a great shot.
Bishop Auckland play at Enderby on Saturday in the 3rd round
Bishop Auckland, Garrow. McDonald. (sub Blair), Rutherford. Graham. Hills. Suggett. Waugh. Gooding, Sword. Coulson, Brown
Lynn Ringwood. Wilson, Wright. Johnston, Rider, Watts, McManus, Goose, Wiles, Moden. Rudd, sub Lindsay
Report by permission of the Lynn News