• blueandgold
  • amazon
  • facebook
  • easyfundraising
  • twitter
Blue & Gold Trust Official Website

King's Lynn 3 Peterborough 3
7th August 2003
Lynn were denied another pre-season league scalp when a bumper crowd saw a young Peterborough side get a last gasp leveller on Thursday.
Having already beaten Cambridge United, the Linnets were pegged back after taking the lead three times and outclassing the Nationwide League Division Two side at times.
It took just 50 seconds for The Walks outfit to open their account, the outstanding Dave Staff hitting the bar from 20 yards, Richard Woodrow having the follow-up saved but Chris Bacon striking the loose bal into the net.
Post equalised on the quarter-hour mark when the portly Ben Alexander showed surprising pace to eat a static defence's offside trap and round keeper Steve Wilson before slotting into an empty net.
Bacon hit the post with a header and Malcolm Ndekwe also wet close. Alexander was Posh's only threat.
Five minutes before the break Bacon bagged his second goal, pouncing on a defensive break, taking the ball past keeper Luke McShane and squeezing the ball inside the near post.
The second half saw mass changes, with a young Lynn side featuring a new-look back four including midfielder Lee Hyde at centre-half.
This at first unsettled the hosts with Peterborough's Mark Coulson being denied by the legs of Wilson.
Staff hit the side-netting before on 65 minutes Lee Clarke for the Posh headed a cross past the stranded Wilson.
But Lynn regained the lead through Jack Defty's persistence down the right of the box. He laid the ball back for Robbie Harris to grab his fourth goal in three games.
It was oddly competitive for a friendly, and in the closing minutes one of the strangest episodes witnessed at The Walks saw Raynor get in a tangle with Bradley Thomas - who had been niggly all night.
Handbags ensued, with Posh keeper McShane running out 20 yards to push over Raynor.
Local referee Nigel Kerrison asked both managers to withdraw Raynor and McShane and, as Posh had no sub keeper, Lynn's Jon Higgs ran out to play against his own side.
The visitors had the final say in the 90th minute when Wilson missed a free kick and Shaun St Ledger nodded in.
Lynn: Wilson, Glarvey, Skelly, Burrows, Fuff, Holmes, Woodrow, Raynor, Bacon, Staff, Ndekwe, Subs (all used): Harris, J Defty, Blake, Doughty, Jones, Hyde, Higgs.
Peterborough: L McShane, D Mallins, M Coulson, S St Ledger, C Thompson, P Burton, L Kennedy, S Huke, L Clarke, S Tulley, B Alexander, Subs (all used): J Carroll, R Hutton, S Quinney, B Thomas.
Referee: N Kerrison (Lynn) Attendance: 753
Report by permission of the Lynn News