• blueandgold
  • amazon
  • facebook
  • easyfundraising
  • twitter
Blue & Gold Trust Official Website

Halesowen Town 0 King's Lynn 1
1st November 1998
Linnets boss Gary Mills laid down the law at half time even though his side were leading and should have been further ahead.
Lee Wilson's 26th minute header earned Lynn their first away league victory since February 28 while Micky Nuttell hit a post and should have had a penalty in the first period. But after the game, Mills revealed: "The lads came in at half time and some of them said 'well done'. I had to shout them down. I thought we were superb in the first half but we could have gone out and lost the game 3-1.
'We played a 4-3-3 in the first half because I didn't want them to get out from the back and it worked very well. I was a little disappointed in the second half because we dropped off a yard. We defended well and that's what we're there for. When we were called upon to defend, we did.
'We need a little bit of luck. We've gone out of both cups but I'm not going to be negative. If anyone doubts us, that's down to them. "People at the club and supporters don't want to lose and I'm sure you reporters must get sick of it."
You could have forgiven both sets of fans for being pessimistic before Saturday's game. Lynn had not picked up a point on their travels and Halesowen had lost their previous five games.
Lynn made a bright start and Mills' long ball nearly picked out Jon Palmer - playing as the third striker - in the box. At the other end, a good tackle by Mills denied the lively Delton Francis.

In the 26th minute came the all important goal. Nuttell, who had a great game up front, was tugged back on the byeline. Dave Puttnam whipped in a vicious free-kick and Wilson stole in front of the defenders to head home. Mills then crossed for Nuttell, who saw his header come back off the post and into the arms of home keeper Danny McDonnell.
Five minutes from the break, Nuttell was denied a clear penalty. Mills laid the ball into his feet and Matt Gardiner dragged the striker to the ground but the referee waved play on.
lan Reed's free-kick was glanced away to safety by Mills before Chuck Martini made an outstanding save in first half injury time. Francis blasted a close range effort but the Lynn keeper, going the wrong way, stuck out a leg to deny the Halesowen front man.
Martini had a better game and made a couple of good stops but needs to be more commanding in his six-yard box from crosses.
In the first 20 minutes Halesowen got on top but once Lynn had weathered that storm, they were good value for the points. Steve Piearce blazed over and Martini made a good low stop from Francis, who pulled another shot inches wide as the home fans prematurely screamed 'goal'.
Lynn's best effort of the second half came via an unlikely source. Again, it was Nuttell who set the play up with a neat header inside to Colin Hoyle and the skipper's 20-yard drive was acrobatically tipped over by McDonnell. Lynn: Martini, Mills, Spearing, Robinson, Fuff, Puttnam (McGinty 71), Hoyle, Ramsey, Nuttell, Wilson, Palmer (Gibson 52). Sub (not used) Sterling.
Halesowen: McDonnell, Crisp (Elmes 45), Bradley (Smith 74), Wood, Harding, Gardiner, Peters, Francis, Piearce, Birch, Reed. Sub (not used) Cooper.
Shots on
Shots off
Free kicks
Halesowen4710212 Wood (87, foul)
Report by permission of the Lynn News