• blueandgold
  • amazon
  • facebook
  • easyfundraising
  • twitter
Blue & Gold Trust Official Website

King's Lynn 0 Nantwich Town 0
1st December 2013
Stand-in goalkeeper Jason Lee was the hero as ten-man King's Lynn Town held on for a spirited EvoStik League point at home to Nantwich Town.
Lee took over between the posts and saved a penalty after regular custodian Alex Street was sent-off for bringing down Dabbers striker Aaron Burns early in the second half.
Burns stepped up to take the spot-kick but Lee brilliantly flung himself to his right to keep out the frontman's effort.
Lee was also called upon to deny Nantwich's Max Harrop with his legs, but a share of the spoils was no more than the Linnets deserved for a plucky display.
Reflecting on his penalty save, Lynn's defender-turned-goalkeeper Lee said: "I'd like to say I guessed correctly, but it was a case of me diving to my favoured side and just keeping that wrist strong.
"The gaffer (Gary Setchell) has politely reminded me that it was perhaps my fault leading up to going in goal, so I think I redeemed myself a little bit.
"It was a great feeling but the rest of the team had to play their part, too, after we went down to ten men."
Dismissed goalkeeper Street took to Twitter after the game and said: "Jay Lee was decent mate. taught him well."
Linnets boss Setchell said: "If anyone was going to save the penalty it would be Jay Lee as he's that type of character and writes his own headlines.
�We've had training sessions where he's played in goal, he's sharp and he's a good goalkeeper.�Jason can do 40 minutes but I wouldn't want him to do 40 games.�
The Linnets were already up against it going into the game without the suspended trio of Jordan Yong, Dan Quigley and Massiah McDonald.
Lynn handed full EvoStik League debuts to youngsters Chris Ward, at left-back, and Jack McGovern in midfield.
Chances were few and far between in a game which was spoilt by an over-zealous and inconsistent referee.
Harrop's free-kick was saved well by Street, while at the other end Marc Goodfellow's cross fizzed across the face of the Nantwich goal with none of his team-mates willing to take a gamble in front of the target.
Half-time substitute Ewan Clarke almost opened the scoring in the early exchanges of the second period but his header, from brother Ryan Clarke's deep cross, was excellently dealt with by Nantwich goalkeeper Jack Cudworth.
Lee's penalty save a few minutes into the second half seemed to lift Lynn and the home crowd.
McGovern's sweet left-footed shot whistled inches wide but neither chance created another clear-cut opening other than Lee's save to thwart Harrop.
Lynn: Street, R. Clarke, Fryatt, Lee, Ward, Jones (E. Clarke 46), Thomson, McGovern, Hall, Goodfellow (Duffy 88), Mulready (McLeish 69). Sub not used: Stocker.
Booked: R. Clarke, Fryatt, Mulready; sent-off: Street (51).
Nantwich: Cudworth, Wilson, White, M. Jones, Frost, A. Jones, Clayton, Davidson, Burns, Foster (Degan 66), Harrop (Davis 86). Subs not used: Courtney, Devanny, Gardner.
Booked: Harrop.
Attendance: 508. Referee: Neil Guest.
Report by permission of the Lynn News