• blueandgold
  • amazon
  • facebook
  • easyfundraising
  • twitter
Blue & Gold Trust Official Website

King's Lynn 0 Cambridge City 0
8th January 2000
ANOTHER blank game, home points dropped against a struggling side in the space of five days, it hasn't been a good week for the Linnets.
Saturday's derby was draw number 12, the most in the division, but Lynn made it their tenth game Unbeaten.
Bare statistics alone will show that the hosts again had the better of this match. How Lynn needed broken leg victim Lee Wilson, who was watching from his wheelchair on the touchline. They have not scored since his injury.
"I'm frustrated to dominate it and not put the ball in the back of the net. The keeper's had two of the easiest games of his career and it's disappointing and frustrating to get two no score draws in games we should have won," said Lynn boss Gary Mills.
"Lee's had a good season and his injury has come as a blow but we have got to get overt:'
Mills revealed he will not be seeking a loan or permanent replacement for Wilson for budgetary reasons: "Shaun (Keeble) has got the shirt and I thought he did very well. I want players to show me they want the shirt."
Keeble looked most likely to score, and was ludicrously booked for turning his back on City keeper Martin Davies as he went up for a challenge.
A scout from Tranmere was at the game, and if he was watching Dave Robinson, the defender gave another faultless display.
Robinson it was who had the first chance, heading a Dave Puttnam corner inches over the bar. Former Linnet Danny Bartley - who was on trial at The Walks during the summer - wasted the Lilywhites' best opportunity when a neat turn and shot went just wide.
Puttnam created some space for crosses, but was frequently dragged down the centre of the pitch. Lynn were otherwise restricted to long range efforts from Puttnam and Lyndon Rowland.
Just before the break a Simon Dakin long ball was brilliantly glanced by Puttnam into the path of Keeble, whose effort was blocked by Davies at his near post
Dakin squandered the best chance of the match early in the second half; blazing over an open goal when Keeble's overhead volley from a Craig Clark long throw caused havoc in the City defence.
Immediately after coming on, Cambridge sub Peter Leete was put through by ex-Linnet Ian Cambridge but fired woefully wide when well placed.
Late on Dakin was cautioned and will be suspended for the Margate trip in two week's time
Lynn:  Martini,  Dakin,  Clark,  Robinson.  Fuff,  McGinty (Turner 62),  Harbottle,  Marsden (Nwadike 45),  Rowland ( Palmer 69),  Keeble,  Puttnam.
Davies, Wenlock, Burnham, Holden, Randall, Pincher, Linton (Tovey 58), Stringfellow, Bartley (Leete 69), Cambridge, Wilde. Sub not used:  Kirkup
Shots on
Shots off
Free kicks
Lynn65838 Keeble (62 foul)
Dakin (86 foul)
Nwadike (89 foul)
Cambridge 132211 Linton (32, foul)
Burnham (82, hand ball)
Lynn News Man of the Match - Dave Robinson
Report by permission of the Lynn News