• blueandgold
  • amazon
  • facebook
  • easyfundraising
  • twitter
Blue & Gold Trust Official Website

King's Lynn 5 Gt Yarmouth Town 1
8th May 1926
Last season when the FA made the rule that no matches were to be played after the first Saturday in May, they added "except County Charity Cup matches."
Advantage of the proviso was taken by the NCFA this season when the Norfolk Charity Cup Final between Lynn Town and Yarmouth Town (holders) was played at the Walks on Saturday evening, and a large crowd saw Lynn win by five goals to one after two of their men had been "passengers" throughout the second half. Yarmouth won the trophy last season by an odd goal in three victory over Lynn at Wellesley Road, Yarmouth.
The teams on Saturday were:
Lynn - W. G. Bedwell: J Massingham, E. R. Woodhouse; J. H. Terry, N. Turner, J. H. Easter, A. H. Portfeet, P. D. Thaxter, H. H. Kirk, H Osborne, G. T. Veal.
Yarmouth - Dennis: Oxborough, Myhill; Wiggins, Brown, Moore; Cousins, Nichols, Smith, Swann, Beevor.
The referee was Mr J. W. Wilde of Norwich, and the inesmen Messrs. A. G. Barker (Lynn) and S. G. Chambers (Walpole).
Lynn were soon attacking and Dennis saved with difficulty a great drive from Osborne. Then Portfleet raced down the wing and Dennis again had to be alert to prevent a score, for Kirk put in a surprise shot. Cousins caused the firs danger at the other end, but his centre went begging. The ball passed right across the goal, but there was no one to tap it in.
Play was interesting and there were exciting incidents at both ends before Lynn obtained the lead in a somewhat lucky way. The ball came over from the right and Dennis was about to clear when Myhill put the ball past him into his own net.
Oxborough attempted to get it away, but failed. Just before the interval Yarmouth got the equaliser, Nichols beating hree of the Lynn defenders, and then putting the ball into the top corner of the net well out of Bedwell's reach.
There was a dramatic opening to the second half, one minute's play settling Yarmouth's fate. Straight from the kick-off Portfleet got away, and passed to Kirk who put Lynn ahead. From the centre Kirk again worked through and put to Portfleet who notched a third with a good shot. With Thaxter limping badly another misfortune befell Lynn, Kirk being so badly injured that he had to retire for the remainder of the game. Yarmouth lost numerous chances, before Veal and then Portfleet added further goals. It was a good clean sporting struggle.
At the conclusion of the game the cup and medals were present by Mr A T Smith, chairman of the N.C.F.A.
Report by permission of the Lynn News