• blueandgold
  • amazon
  • facebook
  • easyfundraising
  • twitter
Blue & Gold Trust Official Website

Swindon Supermarine 0 King's Lynn 3
8th September 2007
LYNN manager Keith Webb's harsh half-time words bore fruit with a five-star second half performance against Swindon Supermarine which saw three goals to put the Linnets third in the table.
Webb said: "The players were just going through the motions in the first half and I told them that at the break.
"There was no tempo and no passion and I made them aware that they've got a responsibility when it comes to playing for King's Lynn.
"I got the response I was looking for and the players now know what is expected of them and it will be reinforced at training this week."
In Lynn's first-ever visit to Swindon Supermarine, with keeper Scott Howie unavailable, Rob Murray deputised and did not put a foot (or hand) wrong.
On the bench was young Taverham (Norwich-based) keeper Steve Norris, who has joined Lynn's academy.
Also having solid games were Ben Chapman, who had his first start of the league season, Michael Frew and Adam Smith (scoring his first for Lynn for nearly a year).
The Walks outfit mainly threatened at dead-ball situations or crosses in the first half, and could not direct a shot on target. Matt Nolan headed over the bar a couple of centres, while Adam Smith also fired over.
Then following a long throw by Dean West, Frew shot over, as did Mark Camm when, just before half-time, Joe Francis and Nolan set him up.
Webb only spent a few minutes in the dressing-room at half-time, offering a few choice words, before emerging back in the dugout with assistant Lee Glover.
The Lynn players reacted with their most assured display so far this campaign.
Just four minutes into the British Gas Business Football League Premier Division match, Frew sent a left-foot cross into the box, Francis headed the ball up in the air, and Danny Bloomfield tapped in to break the deadlock from a few yards.
Frew twice shot wide when he should have done better, but made amends on 64 minutes from close range after a good build-up by Smith and Francis.
Murray tipped over the hosts' best effort by Kyle Lapham on 67 minutes, while Lapham headed past his left-hand post shortly afterwards.
Lynn sealed the game after 81 minutes. Frew drifted infield, and laid off to Nolan on the left. The striker teed up Smith to score, again from close in.
There was time for sub Jack Defty to force a save from Tom King, and an average of two points from their seven away games sets Lynn up nicely for a title tilt.
Webb praised the second half display of Nolan, saying: "Matt's second half performance was probably the best I've had from him since I came to the club."
Swindon: King, Lapham, Allen, Copp (Mayo 65), Henry, Abraham, Jeffries (Lightbody h-t), McKay, Caton (Edenborough h-t), Taylor, Stroud. Subs not used: Shepherd, Matthews. Booked: Lapham 70, McKay 90.
Lynn: Murray, West, Chapman, Warren, C. Defty, Camm, Frew (Fisk 80), Smith (Spriggs 80), Nolan, Bloomfield (J. Defty 75), Francis. Not used: Norris. Booked: Fisk 90. Att: 156.
MoM: The team for its second half display.
Report by permission of the Lynn News