• blueandgold
  • amazon
  • facebook
  • easyfundraising
  • twitter
Blue & Gold Trust Official Website

King's Lynn 2 North Ferriby 2
8th September 2009
TWO goals from new boy Danny Spencer were not enough to give the Linnets victory against high-flying North Ferriby on Tuesday evening.
Spencer, moved forward from full-back, netted in both halves in a fiery encounter as the draw left Lynn still looking for their first home league win of the season.
Linnets manager Carl Heggs had been forced to make changes to the side victorious at Guiseley on Saturday.
Without the influential Gareth Sheldon (injured) and the suspended Anthony Robinson, Heggs moved Spencer forward from full back to lead the line, partnered by Owen Story.
Ryan Beswick moved to full back, with Craig McAughtrie again making the starting line up. Along with Spencer there were home debuts for Jamie Oliver and Jay Smedley.
After the late 8pm kick-off, due to the Humbersiders being caught up in a traffic accident, the game got under way with Story putting the Ferriby keeper under pressure from a long ball, which was to be a feature of the play from both sides throughout the encounter.
For Lynn, Lloyd fed Story, who went on a 40 yard run before his cross was turned behind by Matthews.
From the flag kick, there resulted a nasty clash of heads between Sam Benton and Jamie Oliver, which saw the Ferriby man leave the fray with a cut, requiring six stitches. Oliver was able to carry on after treatment.
Lynn took the lead after 18 minutes. Joe Magunda received the ball on the right and played in a low cross which Spencer bravely dived in to head home.
However, Ferriby equalised three minutes when Colin Hunter beat Danny Gay all ends up with a terrific piledriver from 25 yards.
Next came another long stoppage when Liam Murray went down clutching his shoulder following a sliding challenge. The Lynn man had to be replaced by Jay Smedley.
Before the break Lynn won a penalty when Ryan Beswick was tripped on the edge of the box, but Beswick's spot kick was well saved.
Just before the interval, Law went close for Ferriby with a header which was only just wide.
Five minutes into the second half Ferriby took the lead when captain Paul Foot shot home after a goalmouth scramble.
Heggs reacted by throwing on Jordan Smith for McAughtrie and young Nick Davey for Jamie Oliver.
Smith was soon into the action, only being denied by a good tackle from Tom Matthews. Davey soon followed with a good ball to Webb, who crossed deep only for Wilson to make a good catch under heavy pressure.
Lynn equalised with a bizarre goal after 68 minutes. A speculative ball was played upfield, three defenders hesitated and the visiting keeper lashed the ball into his two colleagues. It rebounded to Spencer, who passed the ball into the net from 20 yards.
The action was becoming even more fast and furious as each side strived for the winner.
Lynn gradually forced the Humbersiders back and Story tested Wilson with a hard, low drive.
Boyce had a great chance to win the three points for Lynn, but Wilson bravely dived at his feet to block the Lynn captain's attempt.
In a match where no quarter was given Lynn's Jamie Oliver and Lewis Webb were booked along with three Ferriby players, and near the end Ferriby's management duo were sent to the stands.
Lynn: Gay, Magunda, Beswick, McAughtrie (Smith), Boyce, Murray (Smedley), Webb, Oliver (Davey), Spencer, Story, Lloyd. Subs not used: Martin, A. McAnally.
Attendance: 826.
Report by permission of the Lynn News