• blueandgold
  • amazon
  • facebook
  • easyfundraising
  • twitter
Blue & Gold Trust Official Website

King's Lynn 2 Barry 1
8th September 1990
WINGER Paul Langford was the Linnets villain turned hero.
After missing a first half penalty, Langford laid,on the two goals as Lynn sunk a lively Barry Town outfit.
It was the result the Linnets needed after that Cup defeat at Boston and keeps them well placed in the Beazer League.
But for long periods, the shot shy Linnets seemed to be suffering an F.A. Cup hangover. Barry Striker David Withers could have made them pay as he twice missed inside the six yard box in the second half.
Apart from a first minute shot by recalled Gary Wells, there was nothing to trouble Barry keeper John Roberts. He didn't even have to make a save when Langford stepped up for the 18th minute penalty, after Wells had been tripped.
Langford, who scored twice from the spot against Newport, failed to make it a hat-trick against Welsh teams when he side-footed the shot over the bar.
Just three minutes later Barry had taken the lead. Withers turned inside Howard Keir and sent a looping shot over Trevor Saunders, the ball dropping into the far corner of the net from 25 yards.
Barry had former Welsh international Alan Curtis showing some neat skills in mid-field despite the close attentions of Pat O'Keefe. Linnets' boss Alan Day had switched to a more orthodox 4-3-3 for this game, pushing Mark Nightingale into mid-field and giving O'Keefe his debut chance, but there was little fluency about the play.
It finally changed on 58 minutes when Nightingale flighted a free-kick to the far post. Langford flicked the ball back across the goalmouth where Jackie Gallagher was lurking to turn in his first goal of the season. Withers instantly had the chance to regain Barry's lead but was denied by Saunders who made a good blocking save.
In the 63rd Minute Langford's clever run down the right turned the Barry defence inside out before he squared a pass into the path of O'Keefe who made no mistake with a good poacher's goal.
O'Keefe, booked for a late tackle in the first half, was now really buzzing and the Linnets well on top. Ged Creane went close with a header and Langford drilled a shot wide when put through by Wells. Lee Rippin, named as Day's first "player of the month" before the game, also got into the action with a shot which Robert saved by the post.
Barry still had hopes of saving a point and pressed hard in the closing minutes.
Lynn: Saunders: Rolph, Creane, Horwood, Keir, O'Keefe, Nightingale. Rippin: Langford. Wells, Gallagher. Substitute,
Massingham for Wells 85 mins)and Shelton (not used)
Referee: J. Wesson (Loughborough) Attendance: 443
Report by permission of the Lynn News