• blueandgold
  • amazon
  • facebook
  • easyfundraising
  • twitter
Blue & Gold Trust Official Website

King's Lynn 1 Crawley Town 2
9th February 1985
WAS ALL the snow clearing really worth it, the Linnets must have wondered. The hard work of supporters and club officials on Saturday morning allowed the game to go ahead, but the end result was not what they had in mind.
Crawley nicked two second half goals to take the points that moves them above the Linnets in the table.
All the lines were cleared and then coloured blue, with the pitch itself posing all sorts of problems to both teams. But Crawley proved they could be mastered by defending strongly and taking the chances when they came.
It was another patchy performance from the Linnets who for the third game in succession took the lead and then surrendered the initiative. It was also the first home league defeat of the season.
If we were following the pattern of the popular Sunday papers and giving player ratings, new signing Ian Wood was the obvious candidate for the top mark. But there would be a number of below par markings as the players themselves know.
When Martin Coupe swept the Linnets into a 27th minute lead it was with the run of play.
Just before the breakthrough the Linnets had pinned Crawley back, Tim Gale going close twice and Ian Wood only just away from connecting with a diving header in front of goal.

Crawley defender Andy Coghill presented Foster with a gift pass and the manager quickly picked out Coupe who drilled in a 15-yard shot. It was his fourth goal in as many games.
Soon afterwards Kevin Ready thumped in a stinging right foot shot, Trevor Inch struggled to get down and hold the ball as Coupe lurked menacingly.
But it was ominous for Lynn just before the interval when David Myers should have equalised - and was prevented by Andy Claxton's finger-tip save.
Perhaps the Linnets were suffering from frostbite in the second half as they looked distinctly unhappy when Crawley pushed forward. An equaliser was always likely and came in the 57th minute when a corner was half cleared, knocked back in and Jeff Wood had time and space to pick his spot.
A couple of shots from Ready, both blocked, was the token Lynn reply, but Crawley broke away to take the lead in the 73rd minute. This time a cross from the right saw David Myers dart in front of Chris Watts and hook his shot over Claxton .
Crawley then held on to their lead with far more determination than the Linnets had done.
Lynn: Claxton: Watts, Wood. Adams, Easthall: Gale, Foster, Ippolitto (sub Howard 74 mins), Hines, Ready, Coupe.
Crawley: Inch: Glozier Lester, Keeping, Coghill, Gant, Burtenshaw, Myers, Richards, Simpson, Wood; sub Robbins.
Referee: A. Ward (Sleaford). Attendance 155.
League position: 7th
Report by permission of the Lynn News