• blueandgold
  • amazon
  • facebook
  • easyfundraising
  • twitter
Blue & Gold Trust Official Website

King's Lynn 0 Merthyr Tydfil 0
9th September 2006
LACK of firepower cost the Linnets as they drew a blank in their top of the table clash at home to Merthyr on Saturday.
After striking six the previous week, The Walks outfit had the opportunity to end this division's sole remaining unbeaten run, but "Arsenal syndrome" let them down.
It was pity their excellent build-up play was let down by their shooting, but Lynn were ultimately frustrated by a well-organised Merthyr side.
Over-elaborate play meant good potential first-half shooting chances were turned down in favour of just one more pass, or players trying to walk the ball into the net at times.
Adam Smith had the right idea when pushed forward in the second half, his effort from 25 yards being the closest Lynn got to a goal.
Lynn manager Tommy Taylor said: "We had enough chances in the first half to have won the game, but we gave away too many fouls up the pitch in the second half.
"In the first half we were comfortable. We've got enough goals there in the team. Matt Nolan needs a goal."
Referring to ex-Manchester United trainee and Norwich City midfielder Alex Notman, who made a first-team comeback following a long-term ankle injury, which forced him out of the pro game, Taylor said: "We lost one in midfield. I don't think the boy got in the game.
"With what he's got, he should be on the ball more. He should want it more, rather than sitting there and waiting for the ball.
"We didn't get enough bodies into the box. In the second half Grant Cooper was sitting too deep, and the pitch gets 'bigger'. Cammy and Sam McMahon can't get forward because there's too much space.
"Coops can't compress play properly as he only comes down to training once a week.
"I said to the players: The reason why you're in amateur football is because when you haven't got the ball, your body language is wrong. Two games in a week is too much for some of them."
Lynn's first-half football was a delight to watch as they are learning to play to their strengths on the floor.
In the fifth minute a Jack Defty's header from a corner was cleared off the line by Gareth Marshall.
Matt O'Halloran almost got a cross past away keeper Ashley Morris, but after that Lynn wasted a host of potential scoring situations.
Matt Nolan, fed by Defty, shot weakly at Morris. Smith, O'Halloran and Notman went close in the half, while Nolan returned the favour to Defty just before the break, but the forward again directed a first-time effort at Morris.
As a recently-departed England boss might say: "Second half: Not so good."
Although saying that, the Linnets could still have won the game in the opening minute, Smith's free-kick brilliantly headed off the line by Steve Williams.
The Welsh side shaded the second period and made Lynn keeper Shaun Marshall work harder, saving well from Craig Steins.
Smith came closest for Lynn with a swerving 25-yarder which Morris almost let through his arms, and Nolan's attempted lob was tipped over the bar at a corner.
Lynn: Marshall, West, Smith, Warren, Cooper, Camm, J. Defty (Frew 57), McMahon, Nolan, Notman (C. Defty 70), O'Halloran (Fell 62). Subs not used: Kennedy, Harvey.
Merthyr Tydfil: Morris, S. Williams, Smothers, Phillips, C, Rewberry, Kift, Dimon (Thomas 84th minute), Shephard, Steins (Billings 65), Keddle. Not used: Durham, Collins, D. Williams.
Booked: Phillips.
Referee: M. McPherson (Ely, Cambs). Attendance: 923.

Report by permission of the Lynn News