• blueandgold
  • amazon
  • facebook
  • easyfundraising
  • twitter
Blue & Gold Trust Official Website

King's Lynn 3 Chelmsford City 0
9th October 2001
THE LINNETS produced their best display since the opening day of the season as in-form Chelmsford were swept away at The Walks.
Tony Spearing's side finally turned their superior possession into goals with three strikes in an exhilarating 12minute second half spell.
It ended Chelmsford's eight match unbeaten streak, while securing Lynn's first league success for five games.
A delighted Spearing said: "I knew a result like that was coming. We haven't had any luck whatsoever of late but all that changed tonight.
"Chelmsford have spent a lot of money on players lately and, no disrespect to them, but we battered them and should have won by a lot more.
"We were a little slow to start with, but once we got in our stride we played with a different tempo and opened them up at will."
The Linnets back line, minus cartilage victim Jon Whitney, were as reliable as ever, but the performance of midfielder Adie Hayes was the difference between the two sides.
Hayes was involved in almost everything Lynn did, while veteran player-coach Tommy Wright also played a key role on the left with crosses for all of the goals, the last from a corner on the right.
Spearing said: "I thought Adie was the best player on the pitch by a mile. tonight and he has been in magnificent form throughout the season.
"He goes after the ball and makes things happen. He really make us tick."
Spearing also praised the contribution of the recalled Kristian Jones, who up until recently had been out of favour with the Lynn boss.
Spearing commented: "Jonah upset me at the start of the season and has had to wait a long time to get his place back in the team.
"He made a difference to us and took some of the pressure of Dodge (Lee Hudson)."
Lynn made their intentions clear from the start with some fluent play down both flanks.
Defender Craig Clark's header scraped the City woodwork following a Hayes corner in the sixth minute, and Wright saw his thunderous drive superbly tipped over the bar by visiting keeper Richard Hurst eight minutes later.
Lynn continued to hold the upper hand, but twice early in the second half Steve Wilson made important saves from Russell Williamson and Danny Hockton to keep the score goalless.
Spearing's troops eventually broke the deadlock 13 minutes into the second period when Hudson sent Wright sprinting down the left to cross for Jones to score with a stooping header.
Five minutes later it was 2-0 when winger Wright's corner was flicked-on by Hudson into the path of Dave Robinson, who had the easiest of tasks to nod the ball into the net and score again at The Walks.
Chelmsford were by now all at sea and could do little about Lynn's final goal 20 minutes from time.
Robinson with a 30-yard ball on the left picked out Wright, who delivered another pinpoint centre for Hudson to head home.
Rampant Lynn could and should have had more.
Hudson outpaced the defence 15 minutes from the end, but saw his cross scrambled away for a corner with substitute Jamie Clarke waiting to pounce, while Jones had a late effort well saved by Hurst.
Lynn: Wilson, Dakin, March, Robinson, Fuff, Clark, Wright (Clarke 76), Hayes (Minett 90), Jones (White 90), Hudson, Anderson.
Chelmsford: Hurst, Cross, Skelly, Lewis, Wiles, Williamson, Cambridge, Dobinson (Bishop 45), Hockton (Keen 74), Samuels, Lee. Sub not used: Wray.
Att: 684
Shots on
Shots off
Free kicks
Lynn837521 March (30, late challenge)
Chelmsford435923 Lee (35, dissent)
Dobinson (39, late challenge)
Lynn News Man of the Match -Adie Hayes
Report by permission of the Lynn News