• blueandgold
  • amazon
  • facebook
  • easyfundraising
  • twitter
Blue & Gold Trust Official Website

Leatherhead 2 King's Lynn 0
9th October 1999
MANAGER Gary Mills blasted his players after an "abysmal" display which sent them crashing out of a cup competition for the second week running.
They were condemned to an early FA Trophy exit against a team from the equivalent of a division below them following an appalling first-half performance which matched last week's Cambridge horror show.
Despite some bizarre refereeing decisions which saw Glen Fuff sent off for two bookable offences - neither for a foul Mills reserved his main criticism for his players.
"I wanted to get to Wembley and it hurts me," fumed Mills after the match. "It's the first time I've blown my own trumpet, but when it takes a 38-year-old injured manager to come on and make things happen, it's the angriest I've been since I've been at the club.
"I won't be accepting that first half performance again. A lot of them lost their discipline - we can't go round kicking, swearing and blaming others."
He said that Fuff's sending off was a 'Joke" and the referee was "abysmal", although Mills added: "We can't blame the referee for losing."
Linnets have now lost five out of six first-round ties since returning to the FA Trophy.
Chuck Martini had to make a fine double-save early on, but the Tanners were rewarded with a goal before the half-hour mark. Ben Papa stole the ball from the sluggish Mark Turner, played a one-two with Tommy Warrilow and curled the ball past Martini.
Lynn's only chance of the half was when Shaun Keeble dispossessed home keeper Paul Hart and Puttnam's follow-up was smartly saved.
At half-time, Lynn reverted to a back four as Mills brought himself on for Richard Butler, making his first start, and he made an immediate impact, running from the half-way line and crossing for Turner to head inches over.
But Lynn should have levelled during a commanding spell. Turner sliced horribly wide after good work from Puttnam and Keeble. Dave Robinson flicked on a corner and Keeble's overhead volley was acrobatically tipped over. From the resulting flag-kick Lee Wilson had a close-range effort blocked on the line. Even more frustratingly, Wilson's header faded just wide.
On the break, Leatherhead were awarded a dubious penalty as Glen Fuff tackled Michael Rootes and Fuff was booked for protesting. However, Nigel Webb missed the spot-kick.
Lynn hit back as Puttnam's 20-yard swerver was tipped round the post. Linnets even found the net after Fuff s clever chip found Robinson, whose header over the keeper was nodded in by Wilson, but the goal was ruled offside.
As the match entered a farce, Martini was booked for protesting and Puttnam for diving when it was clear he was tripped in the home area. To cap it all, Fuff was penalised for a foul and as he started to protest, was scythed down by Tommy Williams, who had already been cautioned. After lengthy treatment, Fuff was astonished to receive his second yellow card for not retreating 10 yards.
Warrilow completed a miserable afternoon for Lynn as he bullet-headed in Webb's corner. Lynn: Martini, Dakin, Butler (Mills 45), Robinson, Fuff, Spearing, Turner, Goss (Palmer 86), Keeble, Wilson, Puttnam. Subs (not used) Marsden, Clark, Miles.
Leatherhead: Hart, Warsfold, Teasdale, Lawson, Lavender, Cochrane (Versaci 19), Papa, Wilkins, Rootes, Webb, warrilow. Subs (not used) Malcolm, Loney, Bolton, Gerrard.
Shots on
Shots off
Free kicks
Lynn4712412 Fuff (62, dissent)
Martini (73 dissent)
Puttnam (77 dissent)
Robinson (90 flare-up)
Fuff (80 not retreating)
Leatherhead 855212 Lavender (45 obstruction)
Rootes (60 foul)
Williams (64 foul)
Warrilow (90 flare-up)
Report by permission of the Lynn News