• blueandgold
  • amazon
  • facebook
  • easyfundraising
  • twitter
Blue & Gold Trust Official Website

Weymouth 4 King's Lynn 1
9th December 2000
LYNN'S five match unbeaten run came crashing to an end after a spirited second half showing from Weymouth.
Three second half goals saw the south coast side put an end to the Linnets' mini-revival under Spearing, who tasted defeat for the first time since returning to the hot seat a month ago.
Lynn have picked up just one win in 14 attempts at the Wessex Stadium.
"People will look at that score line and think that we were battered, but that couldn't be further from the truth," said a dejected Spearing. "They've scored two wonder goals, but it was us who were playing most of the football.
"We were the better side by a mile in the first half and although they changed their system at half-time I thought we still coped quite well.
"Once they scored their third we chased the game and we ran out of steam."
Lynn lost Jon Palmer before the game with a dead leg but Spearing and Jamie March came on to make a return from their injuries.
The Linnets only had themselves to blame for not putting the game out of Weymouth's reach before the home side's second half blitz.
They dominated long periods of the first half, producing some of their best football of the season, but were unable to make their pressure count.
Weymouth had an early David Laws effort disallowed for offside before Darran Rowbotham put the hosts ahead in the fourth minute when he beat a static Chuck Martini from 25 yards.
Lynn responded in the best possible fashion by equalising in the 19th minute when Tommy Wright exquisitely lobbed keeper Danny Potter from just inside the box.
Lynn enjoyed their best spell of the game with Lyndon Rowland, Simon Bush and Wright all missing half chances to take the lead.
Lynn were dealt a serious blow three minutes into the second half when the industrious Emeka Nwadike was replaced after picking up an ankle injury when challenging for possession.
A scrappy passage of play followed before the impressive Laws cut inside from the right before unleashing an unstoppable 20 yard drive past Martini in the 64th minute.,
Laws, who was a constant thorn in Lynn's side, turned provider when crossing for Rowbotham to head home 15 minutes from time.
Lynn pushed extra men forward and their gamble nearly paid off when sub March saw his goalbound effort cannon off a Weymouth defender.
Weymouth had a second goal ruled out for offside, but on the stroke of time an absorbing series of at least 30 passes was rewarded when Laws sprinted down the left before crossing for Martin Underhay to fire in the fourth. Lynn: C. Martini, S. Dakin, C. Clark, D. Robinson, G. Fuff, D. Puttnam (T. Spearing 83), E. Nwadike (L. Gibson 48), A. Hayes, S. Bush (J. March 65), L. Rowland, T Wright.
Weymouth: D. Potter, M. Gammon (M. Underhay 45), M. Hale (I. Hutchinson 75); S. Browne, J. Waldock, R. Cross, M. Robinson, M. Hare, D. Rowbotham, D. Laws, G. Funnell. Not used: M. Dean.
Att: 442 [given as 673 in league bulletin]
Shots on
Shots off
Free kicks

Lynn News Man of the Match - Glen Fuff
Report by permission of the Lynn News