• blueandgold
  • amazon
  • facebook
  • easyfundraising
  • twitter
Blue & Gold Trust Official Website

Merthyr Tydfil 0 King's Lynn 1
10th April 1999
DEFENDER Dave Robinson revealed how he intends to shake off his poor disciplinary record after netting the goal that almost guarantees Lynn Premier Division football for next season.
Speaking after his 84th-minute winning header against Merthyr, Robinson said: "I've let myself down at times by being stupid and let my heart rule my head.
"It's been very much a stop and start season for me and I need to think a bit more before 1 rush ahead and do things in the future."
The no-nonsense defender, who has been sent off three times this season, made no mistake from Dave Puttnam's corner to score his fourth, goal of the season and hand Lynn their fifth successive victory.
"It was a great delivery from Dave and, with my marker ball watching, all I had to do was stick my head on it," said Robinson.
Only an astonishing piece of refereeing prevented Lynn from returning home with a two-goal winning margin after substitute Shaun Keeble netted a wonderful late strike in the dying seconds of the match.
Keeble thumped home a half volley on the edge of the Merthyr penalty area which hit the stanchion before clearly crossing the line.
But, to everyone's amazement, home keeper Neil Thomas kicked the ball back into play and referee Tim Curtis continued with the game after his assistant on. the far side had failed to keep up With play.
"Everyone in the ground saw the goal apart from the officials. I feel sorry for Shaun," said boss Gary Mills.

"That's why I paid £4,000 for him.
He spun the Merthyr lad superbly and knows where the back of the net is."
Merthyr, still involved in a relegation fight of their own, had the better of the first half exchanges but found Chuck Martini and his defence in commanding form, while former Norwich City star Jeremy Goss pulled the strings in the Linnets midfield.
Martini made a superb save with his feet in the 28th minute to prevent Jamie French from giving the home side the lead while the centre half pairing of Craig Clark and Glenn Fuff rarely put a foot wrong.
Lynn gradually came more into the match after the break and the introduction of Keeble for Micky Nuttell in the 62nd minute sparked Mills' side into life as an attacking force.
"Merthyr were a yard quicker than us to the ball in the first half and they were picking up all the second balls. I told the players to get more of the ball and that's what we did in the final 30 minutes," said Mills.
"It's a good sign when you find yourselves under pressure but remain strong to go on and win the points. At the moment every side in the league is dreading playing Lynn and that's a great feeling." Lynn: Martini, Robinson, Spearing, Fuff, Clark, Mills, Turner, Goss, Nuttell (Keeble 62), Wilson (McGinty 78), Puttnam. Sub (not used) Simpson.
Merthyr: Thomas, Reagan, Michaels, Needs, Abraham, Richards, Evans, Griffith (Benbow 75), French (Chiverton 80), Cadette, Loss. Sub (not used) Durham.
Shots on
Shots off
Free kicks
Report by permission of the Lynn News