• blueandgold
  • amazon
  • facebook
  • easyfundraising
  • twitter
Blue & Gold Trust Official Website

Banbury United 2 King's Lynn 1
10th September 2005
A grey day for the Linnets as they were outclassed and went out at their first hurdle of the FA Cup for the first time in a number of years.
With the rain pouring down all afternoon, a former Linnet helped to dump his old club out of the competition � Paul Lamb, who scored the first goal on Saturday.
Lamb spent ten games on loan from Northampton Town at Lynn from February to March 1993.
Banbury fielded two good forwards, two quick wingers and had the better of the midfield. The Walks outfit did equalise with a peach from Adam Jones, but they were well beaten.
In the opening half-hour Lynn coped with anything Banbury had to offer, and could have been ahead with the best chance.
Jack Defty set up Paul Kelly, restored to the starting line-up, but he slammed his shot wide with just the keeper to beat.
This was Lynn's sole shot on target in the first half.
Whereas, on the 25-minute mark the Puritans had two efforts in five minutes.
Firstly, keeper John Higgs somehow threw himself to his right to thwart a header from Andy Baird that seemed to be going in. Then a free-kick was cleared to Ollie Stanbridge, who let fly from outside the box, but Mark Camm headed off the line.
On 40 minutes another Baird header cleared the bar following the hosts' eighth corner of the game.
A minute before half-time Banbury's pressure paid off. Another attack was half-cleared and Lamb hit a first-time shot from 25 yards over the advancing Higgs.
The Walks outfit came out for the second half searching for a quick equaliser. Danny Bloomfield was tripped and Adam Smith's free-kick flashed past the post.
Sam McMahon and Lamb were booked on 50 minutes for a clash, for which the visitors were awarded the free-kick.
This resulted in a chance for Jones, whose 20-yard blockbuster scorched into the top right hand corner of the net.
Lynn were only level for seven minutes, as on the hour Stanbridge lobbed a hopeful ball into the box from the right, and Baird nodded off the underside of the bar.
With the helpless Higgs already on the floor having dived, Baird was the first to react and stab home.
In the final few minutes, Lynn had a couple of half-chances to grab a replay from their substitutes.
First Matt O'Halloran had a scrambled shot; then Grant Cooper centred and Dean Whittaker, recovering from a virus, really should have scored, but headed wide.
Banbury: Tricker, Blossom, Kinch, Sullivan, Pond, Fuller, Stanbridge, Lamb, Redknap, Baird, Gardner (Potter 88). Subs not used: McKay, Jackson, King, Gooderick.
Booked: Lamb 50, Baird. Goals: Lamb 44, Baird 60.
Lynn: Higgs, Jones, Smith (O'Halloran 71), McMahon, Cooper, McNeil (Anselin 65), West, Kelly (Whittaker 63), J. Defty, Bloomfield, Camm. Not used: Benstead.
Booked: McMahon 50, McNeil 52, Whittaker 66. Goal: Jones (53).
Referee: W. Barratt (Bromsgrove).
Attendance: 549.
FACTfileShots on
Shots off
Free kicks
Banbury 668110
Lynn News Man of the Match - Jack Defty