• blueandgold
  • amazon
  • facebook
  • easyfundraising
  • twitter
Blue & Gold Trust Official Website

Crawley Town 3 King's Lynn 1
10th October 1998
NEW-look Linnets, with four making their competitive debuts, received a verbal lashing from manager Gary Mills after their fifth league defeat in a row.
It also continued their awful record at Crawley, where they have yet to win in the Southern League.
Lynn could not agree to a Crawley request to put back the kick-off because of the England game - perhaps Mills wishes they had never turned up at all.
"We can't afford to play 45 minutes it's a 90 minute game," fumed the Linnets manager, who is still seeking a league point.
"In the first half we were miles behind. I let the lads know at half time that it wastn't good enough, that I could get 11 new players.
"The debutants did OK, Lee Wilson looked the sharpest. Leo Cotterell and John Palmer did well when they came on."
With starts for league debutants Wilson up front, Steve McGinty on the left and centre-half Dave Robinson, skipper Colin Hoyle was at right-back.
John Palmer later came on for his Dr Martens League debut.
Linnets had an early setback when David Puttnam half cleared down the left. Portuguese Victor Viegas laid it back to Justin Gregory, whose wicked swerving shot deceived Steve Lewis at his near post. To make amends Puttnam raced upfield and his cross-shot was tipped over by Adrian Blake.
After a blinding run Ben Abbey was pushed by Glen Fuff, who protested that he dived. Mark Hawthorne's free-kick was deflected inches over by McGinty.
Wilson produced a sideways scissors kick from a Micky Nuttall flick-on but Blake pulled off a fine save.
However, three minutes into injury time Fuff's clearance ballooned up and Viegas volleyed sweetly home.
Lynn looked more lively after the break and soon pulled one back. After Reds' John Mackie pushed Nuttall, McGinty's free-kick was nodded in by an unmarked Fuff.
Wilson's effort from a Cotterell free-kick was diverted just wide. A great Hoyle long ball found Puttnam in space but his cross-shot was too weak.
After Puttnam and Wilson had further chances the game lost shape in the last 15 minutes.
Crawley made it safe with another goal three minutes into stoppage time.
Sub Jon Warden was allowed two goes at a shot by Fuff and stabbed the ball past Lewis.
Lynn: Lewis, Hoyle, Spearing, Robinson, Fuff, McGinty (Palmer 71), Gibson (Cotterel 45), Ramsey, Nuttell, Wilson (G Roberts 90) Puttnam.
Crawley: Blake, Gregory, Payne, Taylor, Mackie, Viegas, Hawthorne, McEntaggart (Andrews 87), Abbey (Warden 80), Ullathorne, Barber. Sub (not used) McEwan
Shots on
Shots off
Free kicks
Lynn655612 Gibson (40, foul)
Ramsey (71, foul)
Crawley833516 Gregory (41, kicking ball away)
Mackie (57, foul)
Payne (81, foul)
Report by permission of the Lynn News