• blueandgold
  • amazon
  • facebook
  • easyfundraising
  • twitter
Blue & Gold Trust Official Website

King's Lynn 5 Cambridge City 0
11th April 1962
MANAGER Len Richley sprung a surprise on supporters and players alike on Wednesday evening with the inclusion of Welsh international and former Norwich, Birmingham and Port Vale player, Noel Kinsey, in the team against Cambridge City.
Signed earlier in the afternoon, Kinsey became an immediate favourite with everyone by playing a prominent role in helping struggling Lynn to their finest Southern League win of the season.
What a night it was for the Linnets and their fans as they added four second-half goals in a scintillating display to bring the powerful City to their knees.
The new-style attack, with Stevens at centre forward in place of Dixon. Sharp at in-side left in place of Wright and Kinsey at inside right, clicked well.
It was Cambridge, however, who found form first. After 15 minutes inside right Banks miskicked only yards in front of the Lynn goal. Seconds later centre forward Coyle had a hard drive saved by Lynn 'keeper Manning.
In the early stages when both sides were trying to gain the upper hand, attack after attack was broken up by the defences. Poor finishing robbed Cambridge of two possible goals in the first half hour.
After taking a few minutes to settle down with his new club Kinsey found form and, playing very deep. started effectively feeding the attack with long, accurate passes. Sharp took one of the passes and was unlucky to shoot over the bar.
Lynn's first goal came in the 18th minute. Cambridge centre half Stapleton handled in the penalty area in trying to halt Stevens after consulting the linesman, referee F. Webb, of Exning awarded a penalty. HALL made no mistake with a typically fierce spot kick to put Lynn one up. Cambridge rallied and Manning had to dive at the feet of inside left Allen to stop a dangerous move. The home goal had a close shave a few minutes later when Lynn conceded a free kick just on the edge of the penalty area. Coyle, however, scooped the ball just over the Lynn bar.
In the 38th minute Kinsey again set Lynn off on another attack which almost produced another goal. Indeed many
of the spectators at the other end of the ground thought that Stevens' shot had gone in. Unfortunately it missed toe past by about a foot: The second half saw Lynn defending their goal against a determined Cambridge attack. Packing the area Lynn managed to hold off Cambridge forwards until they could launch an attack of their own. Two promising moves started by Kinsey Were quickly broken up by the Cambridge defence.
Then came the first of Lynn's four second half goals Sharp's header from a Hall pass was pulled down by STEVENS and his good hard shot gave Lynn their second goal.
Six minutes later, with Cambridge gradually losing their grip on the game, SHARP took advantage of a defence error in the box and his hard shot curled into the net for number three.
More chances came Lynn's way and outside right Bacon was unlucky to see a fine shot saved by Cambridge keeper Jones.
Kinsey sent Lynn off on an- other attack with a long pass in the 75th minute and STEVENS pounced on the ball to crack home Lynn's fourth.
Kinsey's moment of personal glory came in the 84th minute when Cambridge conceded a free kick on the edge of their penalty area. With a line of Cambridge players before him KINSEY was unperturbed. He made no mistake with his shot. It carved a gap through the defence and crashed into the right hand corner of the net for Lynn's fifth,
Seconds later a Stevens shot across the visitors goal went skimming past the post,
Jones saved two almost certain goals during the match and two minutes from time he made a spectacular full-length dive to stop a shot from Bacon.

Lynn: Manning; Dunn, Johnson; Lumley, Bone, Garrett; Bacon, Kinsey, Stevens, Sharp, Hall.
Cambridge: Jones: Pickup, Gregory; Craig. Stapleton, Pearce: Devine, Banks, Coyle, Allen, Neil.
Report by permission of the Lynn News