• blueandgold
  • amazon
  • facebook
  • easyfundraising
  • twitter
Blue & Gold Trust Official Website

King's Lynn 1 Moor Green 0
11th September 2001
The Linnets notched their first home goal for four and a hours thanks to Jason Minett's first league strike for the club.
They were given a scare by Moor Green, who were not afraid to play the ball about to feet. Lynn's passing at times was too sloppy, but new signing from Hull Jon Whitney made a solid debut in defence.
Maybe the Linnets were put off by Moor Green's away kit of dark green/light green with red numbers, which looked like a test for colour blindness.
"It was not a vintage performance but spirited," said manager Tony Spearing. `A lot of people underestimated Moor Green, but they were top of the league last year for a time.
"We've conceded the least goals in the league, seven, two of those were in the last minute and two were penalties."
The Moors thought they had scored in the first 30 seconds but it was ruled out as the ball had already gone for a throw-in just after kick off.
"I saw the linesman had put his flag up, but play went on," added Spearing. "We had the luck, but decisions even out. I thought we scored a perfectly good goal on Saturday that was ruled out."
The Linnets had the first legitimate chance when away keeper Andy De Bont expertly blocked on the line captain Dave Robinson's header from player-coach Tommy Wright's free-kick.
During a succession of home corners, Chris Gillard nearly nodded into his own net.
Wright went off with a back twinge, to be replaced by Louis Evans, which caused a delay as referee and assistant referee checked and re-checked the Lynn team sheet.
"The linesman had written Louis' name down wrong, and they weren't happy with it,"explained Spearing. Some wag in the crowd shouted: "Train departing at..."
Moors man and ex-Birmingham midfielder Jae Martin had the best chance of the opening half on 30 minutes, his header skimming the bar from a Nathan Lamey centre.
Off-form Lynn striker Lee Hudson, mistimed his shot when well-placed following a throw-in just before the break.
Lynn brought on Lyndon Rowland as they played three up front in the second half.
It paid off just four minutes in as the visitors failed to clear their lines and Minett struck home the loose ball from 20 yards.
That was probably Jason's best game for us, added Spearing. "He's trying to find his feet after a broken leg. I hope it kick-starts his season."
The match turned niggly, with flare-ups, as the impressive Zeke Rowe was fouled no end of times.
The faultless Steve Wilson ensured Lynn did not concede a late goal for the fourth game in a row. He was quick off his line to save at the feet of Martin Myers on the hour then he had to stretch his utmost to catch a late Richard Robinson back-header.
Rowe and Rowland went close before, in injury time, Hudson looked to have sealed it with a first-time effort when set up by the persistent Rowland. But De Bont produced a point-blank save.

Lynn: Wilson, Dakin, Eldridge (Rowland h-t), Robinson, Fuff, Whitney, Wright (Evans 20), Hayes, Rowe, Hudson, Minett. Not used: Clarke.
Moor Green: A. De Bont, D. Peer, S. Brighton, C. Gillard, C. Gaunt, J. Stanley, R. Softley (R. Robinson 78), M. Myers, N. Lamey, J. Martin; J. Petty (D. Scheppel 69). Not used: M. Heyde.
Att: 634.
Shots on
Shots off
Free kicks
Lynn437120 Dakin (foul)
Rowland (56, flare-up)
Robinson (85, flare-up)
Moor Green335519 Stanley (76, foul)
Lynn News Man of the Match - Steve Wilson
Report by permission of the Lynn News