• blueandgold
  • amazon
  • facebook
  • easyfundraising
  • twitter
Blue & Gold Trust Official Website

Worksop Town 1 King's Lynn 4
11th September 2013
King's Lynn Town recorded back-to-back EvoStik League victories for the first time this season to move up to seventh in the league standings.
Gary Setchell's side came from a goal down at the interval to win 4-1, thanks to a late double from substitute Rob Duffy and efforts from Shane Tolley and Ryan Fryatt early.
Although the Linnets were aided by a defence collapse from the hosts, it was an excellent result considering The Walks outfit were without half a team half-an-hour before kick-off.
Six Lynn players were held up by an accident on the M1, delaying the start time by 15 minutes, but two goals in a five-minute spell after the interval - both from corners on the right - put Lynn firmly in control.
It took the Linnets some time to find their feet and, by then, a thunderbolt from James Cottingham after 27 minutes had put Worksop in front.
Lynn had their moments in the first half and a long spell of pressure towards the end of the first 45 minutes gave Worksop of what was to come.
Home shotstopper Flynn was twice called upon to make fine stops at the start of the second period before the hosts failed to deal with a corner and Tolley hooked home an equaliser.
The Linnets had found a weak spot, and nine minutes into the second period they exploited it once again.
A corner from the right allowed Fryatt to thunder in unmarked to power a header past Flynn.
Reece Twell almost brought Worksop level with a fine header from Barnett's cross, but the alert Danny Gay touched it round the post.
Debutant Valter Fernandes was then on hand to clear off the line after a deflected cross from Lemon had threatened to find its way into the net.
Ryan Clarke saw a long range shot deflected wide, and a free-kick to the back post looped over the head of Kern Miller and was volleyed just over by Duffy.
But disaster struck for the hosts again on 81 minutes, when Duffy used all of his experience to pierce a hole in the home defence, only to be tugged back by Gaughan.
The referee was left with no option but to award a penalty and show Gaughan a red card.
Duffy took the resulting spot-kick and stroked it past Flynn for a 3-1 lead and to seal the points.
The Linnets helped themselves to a three-goal cushion, when the excellent Clarke turned his man on the edge of the box and fed Duffy, who fired home his third Lynn goal in 47 minutes of action.
It could have got even worse for the Tigers had Jacob not fired over from eight yards late on.
Lynn: Gay, Fernandes, Lee, Fryatt, Gulliver, Clarke, Spriggs (Hall 69), Quigley, Thomson (Bunting 76), Tolley (Duffy 64), Jacob. Subs: Hall, Duffy, Butt, Mulready, Bunting.
Scorers: Tolley 49, Fryatt 54, Duffy 80 pen, 88.
Worksop: Flynn, Lemon, Roe, Davies, Gaughan, Miller, Muldoon, Clarke, Denton (Twell 63), Mettam (Mullen 78), Cottingham. (Barnett 63) Subs: Salt, Barnett, Mullen, Twell, Pursehouse.
Scorer: Cottingham 27.
Sent-off Gaughan 81.
Attendance: 270.
Report by permission of the Lynn News