• blueandgold
  • amazon
  • facebook
  • easyfundraising
  • twitter
Blue & Gold Trust Official Website

King's Lynn 4 VS Rugby 3
11 November 1997
Super sub Steve Williams continued to bewilder both fans and critics by scoring twice to turn this game around for Lynn.
The centre forward, who has hit just one goal in seven starts, brought his tally to four goals in five substitute appearances.
The opening 45 minutes had belonged to Rugby's Ian Thompson who was a constant problem for the Lynn defence. He scored twice and created several other chances for the Midland Division underdogs.
Steve Shea's through ball allowed the flying winger to outpace Colin Hoyle and Martin Matthews before beating Steve Lewis from the edge of the area for the opener after 17 minutes.
Lynn's reply was not long in coming with Brett McNamara heading home unmarked at the near post from Richard Skelly's corner.
But Thompson ensured Rugby held the half-time initiative when he latched on to Jason Pascoe's clearance and played a one-two with Matt Owen before firing into the net.

Lynn manager switched things round at the break with Williams replacing Craig Hopkins up front and Matthew Wright coming on for Russell Stock with Pascoe switching to midfield.
The equaliser came from another Skelly corner, this time Williams heading down for Hudson to slam home through Darren Heyes' legs.
And Hudson, playing his 100th game for the Linnets, soon returned the favour, diverting McNamara's pass for the big front man to chip into the net despite Heyes' touch.
It looked all over two minutes later when Hudson galloped on to Pascoe's through ball but, as he neared the penalty area with only the keeper to beat, Adam Beazley sent him crashing to the ground. That was the end of the Rugby full back's game as he was sent off but Hudson also had to retire soon after nursing leg and shoulder injuries as a result of the challenge.
Lewis pulled off a stunning save to divert Owen's point-blank header over the bar before Williams raced clear on to McNamara's through ball to road the keeper for his second goal.
That looked to be things wrapped up but substitute Paul Wagstaff set up a nail-biting finale for the 1500-plus crowd when he wriggled his way past five defenders to score a stunning solo goal with ten minutes to go. Lynn: Lewis, Matthews, Skelly, Stock (Wright 45), Hoyle, Spearing, Pascoe, Hopkins (Williams 45), Roberts, McNamara, Hudson (Mead 64).
Rugby: Heyes, Boxford (Davis 73), Beazley, Shea, Trotter, Marsh (Wagstaff 70), Wilson (Kerr 60), Jones, Owen, Emerson, Thompson.
Shots on
Shots off
Free kicks
Lynn739622 Stock (foul, 45)
Skelly (foul, 60)
McNamara (foul, 79)
Williams (dissent, 81)
Rugby564514 Jones (foul, 8)
Beazley (foul, 56)
Report by permission of the Lynn News