• blueandgold
  • amazon
  • facebook
  • easyfundraising
  • twitter
Blue & Gold Trust Official Website

1st February 2000
King's Lynn 2 Gloucester City 0

VETERAN defender Tony Spearing's first goal for the club in his 117th game ended Linnets' home goal drought.
And Dave Puttnam's first league strike since September ensured Lynn notched their first Walks league goal since November.
Manager Gary Mills revealed it was decided before the game that Spearing would take any penalties.
"With us not scoring, there was added pressure on me," explained Spearing.
"But there was no panic, I knew I was going to score. I knew where I was going to put it. I took a penalty at Spalding and I was really pleased to score.
"I've scored 28 goals this season but 27 of them have been in the warm-up. The club's been turned round on its head the last few weeks. To score my first goal was a bonus. Now I'm taking penalties, with a bit of luck I'll get another couple."
Spearing reckoned it could have three or four-nil as cash strapped City rarely threatened.
"I thought it was a good solid performance," added Mills. "We worked very hard and played well. We've performed well in a couple of other home games, but this time we managed to get a couple of goals."
The visitors were camped in Lynn's half for the first quarter hour, with Chuck Martini having to save low from Mike Wyatt's curling 20 yard effort.
However, Lyndon Rowland created an early chance when he dispossessed jumping City keeper Tom King, but the Linnets forward could not find the waiting Glen Fuff.

However, Rowland earned a penalty in the 22nd minute when he was pushed at a corner. Up stepped Spearing to bury the spot-kick low in the corner.
Paul Chenoweth broke away and his lob went inches over the bar. The Tigers missed a further chance on the half-hour when a free kick w a s volleyed over from two yards by Gary Thorne.
In a controversial day for the referee, he did not even book King for upending Emeka Nwadike on the edge of his area when King was the last man. Then Mr Ives cautioned Tom Callinan for elbowing Fuff before a Lynn corner - no penalty was given because the ball was not in play.
The hosts increased their lead just before the break when Dave Robinson set up Rowland and bravely charged into the box for the return pass. The ball ran loose for Puttnam to slot home and end his barren spell.
In the second half, City wasted a prime opportunity when Jimmy Cox was unable to cut back to Matt Rose, who was in a good position to score in Lynn's six yard box.
Rowland was guilty of a glaring miss when Simon Dakin's clearance beat the offside trap and found Robinson. He unselfishly squared to Rowland, who completely missed the pass.
On 75 minutes, Linnets should have made the game safe when Puttnam raced through but his shot was blocked by King an the winger, off-balance, could not get the rebound on target.
In the dying minutes a clever ball by Puttnam put sub Simon Bush in the clear but he blazed over.

Lynn: Martini, Dakin, Spearing, Fuff, Clark, Turner, Nwadike, Marsden (Gibson 76), Robinson (Bush 86), Rowland, Puttnam. Subs not used: Anderson.
King, Tucker (Wigg 39), Chenoweth, Thorne, Niblett, Callinan, Wyatt (Smith 60), Rose, Cox, Casey (Cairns 60), Griffiths.

Shots on
Shots off
Free kicks
Lynn5441516 Gibson (84, foul)
Gloucester457214 Callinan (35, elbow)
Lynn News Man of the Match - Dave Puttnam
Report by permission of the Lynn News