• blueandgold
  • amazon
  • facebook
  • easyfundraising
  • twitter
Blue & Gold Trust Official Website

Tonbridge Angels 4 King's Lynn 1
12th April 2003
LYNN'S hopes of a swift return to the Premier Division were all but dashed in a game which saw defender Danny Holyoak sent-off.
Holyoak was dismissed for dissent in the 39th minute the eighth sending-off of the campaign.
This beats last season's club record of seven, making a mockery of the code of conduct which was brought in at the start of the season.
Although mathematically still possible, the Linnets need nothing short of a miracle to clinch the second promotion spot with four games left.
Peter Morris' side served up a dour display of football against nothing more than mediocre opposition.
Striker Mark Paul was named as a substitute after having pains in his chest before the match.
Sloppy Lynn rarely ventured out of their half early on as Tonbridge, buoyed by a record of six wins in their last seven Eastern Division fixtures, cruised into a 3-0 lead without breaking sweat.
Tonbridge took the lead after five minutes when Angels' Hamid Barr picked up the ball in midfield before losing his marker and firing past Simon Nobes from all of 25 yards.
Six minutes later it was 2-0 when lethargic Lynn allowed Barr too much space before he beat two players and shot past the hapless Nobes.
Chances continued to come the Angels' way as the Linnets contrived to easily concede possession.
The game was effectively put beyond their reach 10 minutes before the break when Ray Powell's clever back-heel found Paul Emblen, brother of Norwich City star Neil, who curled in a shot from 18 yards out.
Lynn's first attempt on target came midway through the half when Carl Holmes unleashed a 30-yard drive straight into the arms of Tonbridge keeper Reynolds.
Chris Bacon missed in front of goal and Lynn's forgettable afternoon was made worse when Paul Raynor limped out of the proceedings with an injury, just minutes before Holyoak's early bath.
Lynn, who swapped their purple colours for yellow during the interval, started the second period in a brighter frame of mind.
Holmes and Lee Stevenson both went close with half chances before David Staff brought Lynn back into the game with his 20th goal of the campaign.
A long ball was misjudged by Tonbridge sweeper Lloyd Hume and Staff raced clear to put himself top of the Lynn scoring charts.
A mazy run from Stevenson past four defenders on 70 minutes ended with Staff being adjudged offside and Bacon almost made it 3-2 seconds later but was denied by a last-ditch challenge.
However, Lynn's mini-revival was cut short when Emblen swept home his second and Tonbridge's fourth after good work by Peter Overton.
A Staff free-kick was deflected straight into the arms of the Tonbridge keeper, but a second goal for Lynn would have been cruel on the home side. Lynn: Nobes, Holyoak, Blois, Burrows, Fuff, Holmes, Stevenson, Raynor (Defty 35), Bacon (Weston 84), Staff, Woodrow. Sub not used: Paul.
Tonbridge: Reynolds, Beales, Roser, Hume, Ainsworth, Royston, Tydeman, Overton, Powell (Piscina 61), Barr (Barnes 74), Emblen. Not used: Walker.
Referee: A Legg (East Grinstead)
Bookings: Lynn Holmes, Tonbridge - Powell, Beales. Sent off: Holyoak
Att: 412
Report by permission of the Lynn News