• blueandgold
  • amazon
  • facebook
  • easyfundraising
  • twitter
Blue & Gold Trust Official Website

Folkestone Invicta 1 King's Lynn 3
13th January 2001
LYNDON Rowland went back to his roots and marked Linnets' first appearance in the third round with his first-ever senior hat-trick.
Rowland - born in Kent, made it a lucky 13th goal of the season and said there was no reason why Linnets could not go all the way in the Trophy.
He also revealed after the game that he had only scored a hat-trick in the reserves for all the clubs he had played for.
"It would be nice to go as far as we can, it's good for the club more than anything," the inform forward said. "The Trophy is the big one for non-league. Maybe we can make the club some money."
Lynn have been rewarded with a home tie against either Unibond Leaguers Trafford or Conference side Telford.
"It's the first goals I've got in the cup for Lynn," continued Rowland. "I do a lot of hard work and goals are a bonus for me. I don't think we're frightened of any Conference club."
Folkestone's second-half equaliser was the signal for Lynn to control the game and they deservedly went through.
"I fancied our chances as we set off," said caretaker boss Tony Spearing. "We're getting players fit again and Lyndon is getting his just rewards. He works frighteningly hard, and that's just in training.
"The supply we're getting to him is better, with balls earlier in the box. The whole team is pulling its weight and I can't get in it.
"Craig Clark is keeping me out. He's played every game under me and he's grabbed the chance with both hands."
The visitors started brightly with the excellent Simon Dakin causing problems with his forward runs and crosses.
In the tenth minute Tommy Wright's curling free-kick was comfortably saved by David Wietecha.
But after that, neither keeper was seriously tested for half-an-hour.
Folkestone's best chance of the half was on 35 minutes when sub James Dryden took the ball out of Chuck Martini's hands but stumbled as the ball went out of play.
Three minutes into stoppage time, Dakin played two one two's with corner-taker Wright and Dakin's superb swerving cross eluded everyone except Rowland at the far post, who stabbed the ball home for his first cup goal of the campaign.
The second half was more lively as Paul Chambers hit the post in the 51st minute.
Two minutes later, Dave Robinson headed up a centre from Andy Morris, Martini came out but could not gather the ball and Stuart White was presented with a simple close range finish.
This sparked Lynn into taking a firm grip on the game with Jamie March, Emeka Nwadike and Adie Hayes controlling midfield and Wright wreaking havoc with dangerous crosses.
But Lynn's persistence paid off when Glen Fuff's long ball caught out the defence, allowing Jon Palmer to steal in behind them and Rowland converted his strike partner's low cross.
Rowland was booked for excessive celebrations which caused a few stupid Linnets fans to invade the pitch.
Seven minutes later Rowland completed his treble when the keeper and Palmer went for a Wright cross, and Rowland buried the loose ball to join Palmer on this season's hat-trick list.
This was only Lynn's second hat-trick in this competition after Ian Stringfellow bagged a second-half treble at Yate in October 1996.
Invicta briefly hit back late in the day when Dryden dispossessed Craig Clark but was denied by the diving Martini.
Lynn: Martini, Dakin, Clark, Robinson, Fuff, March, Nwadike, Hayes, (Anderson 90), Palmer (Bush 89), Rowland, Wright (Gibson 88). Subs not used: Spearing, McNeil.
Folkestone: D. Wietecha, A. Morris, R. Ponsford, A. Larkin, S. Daniels, S. White (J. Ayling 81), R. Briggs, P. Chambers, S Lawrence, N. Dent (J. Dryden 32), J. Ross. Not used: M. Everitt, D. Winfield.
Att: 342. 
Shots on
Shots off
Free kicks
Lynn659210 Fuff (65, foul)
Rowland (76, goal celebration)
Folkestone463314 Chambers (32, foul)
Lynn News Man of the Match - Lyndon Rowland
Report by permission of the Lynn News