• blueandgold
  • amazon
  • facebook
  • easyfundraising
  • twitter
Blue & Gold Trust Official Website

Bromsgrove Rovers 1 King's Lynn 1
14th March 1998
JET-HEELED striker Mark Paul was on target as the Linnets rescued a point after a dismal first-half display at relegation-haunted Bromsgrove.
Paul, the 19-year-old capture from Warboys, gave Lynn the late boost they needed as his lightning pace tore apart the home defence.
The diminutive forward replaced Brett McNamara after 73 minutes and almost scored straight away. Duncan Roberts' giant clearance was flicked on by Steve Williams and Paul skipped through two challenges before keeper Derek Dudley's desperate block halted his progress.
But he only needed ten minutes to register his first strike for Lynn.
Again Williams' touch released him and, after rounding Dudley, he fired the ball high into the net from a tight angle.
The youngster was delighted: "I could've had another two but I'm happy with the one I got because it means we're still unbeaten," he said after helping extend Lynn's unbeaten run to ten games.
"It's a big step up but I try not to let it get to me," he added, reflecting on a remarkable rise from the Sunday League ranks he was playing in just three months ago.
Manager Peter Morris was equally pleased with the display of the former Peterborough United trainee.
"He's very raw but he's got a hell of a lot of potential. He livened us up when he got on and I can see him getting a lot of goals," he said.
A physical home side were determined to end their eight-game losing run and, with referee Andy Williams proving extremely lenient, the Linnets found themselves under the cosh.
Lee Hudson got an early taste when he was cruelly cut down from behind by Kevin Richardson and then suffered two off-the-ball challenges by Mark Peters who walked a disciplinary tightrope after also tangling with Brett McNamara, Steve Williams and Steve Riches.
Steve Taylor scooped the ball over an empty net after only three minutes but Rovers did not have to wait long to score their first goal for six games.
Taylor's cross picked out Dean Bennett and the debut-making midfielder had time to pick his spot and end Bromsgrove's near ten hour goal drought.
Riches cleared Ryan Daley's shot off the line and Roberts pulled off two stunning saves to keep the score to one at the break.
Bennett wasted a good chance to kill the game a minute into the second half when he rounded Roberts only to place the ball in the side netting.
That proved to be the home swan song as Lynn stepped up the pace and pinned back their hosts for the rest of the game.
Kevin Ashby cleared Hudson's effort from under the bar after 60 minutes and then the Lynn striker saw Dudley tip his acrobatic 20-yard shot over the bar.
Williams' shot was deflected over before Paul's introduction provided the spark to ignite the visitors' attack.
Lynn almost snatched victory in the closing stages but Hudson flashed his shot across the face of goal with Paul and Williams screaming for a cut back in front of goal. Lynn: D Roberts, Matthews, Riches, Hoyle, Ellis, Spearing, Wright (G Roberts 79), Cotterell, Williams, McNamara (Paul 73), Hudson. Subs (not used) Hollman.
Bromsgrove: Dudley, Ashley, Darkes, Peters, Davies, Richardson, Clarke, Bennett, Taylor, Daley, Purdie. Subs not used: Wardle, Softley, Smith.
Shots on
Shots off
Free kicks
Bromsgrove452816 Richardson (foul, 5)
Report by permission of the Lynn News