• blueandgold
  • amazon
  • facebook
  • easyfundraising
  • twitter
Blue & Gold Trust Official Website

King's Lynn 3 Tonbridge Angels 0
14th December 2002
CHRIS Bacon took his tally to five goals in three games to give manager Peter Morris his 100th win in charge at The Walks.
Bacon struck a brace in the opening quarter of the game and Lee Stephenson added a third five minutes from time to give the scoreline a rather flattering look.
Lynn were deserved winners on the day, but made hard work of the three .points against a physical Tonbridge side who impressed when venturing forward.
The Linnets got off to an ideal start in the second minute when Stephenson left a Tonbridge defender in his wake with a smart turn before pulling the ball back for Bacon to tap home.
Lynn decided to sit back and allowed Tonbridge to come at them and in the fourth minute Adam Jones was on hand to clear the ball at the far post with two visiting forwards waiting to pounce.
Goalkeeper Dean Greygoose was at full stretch to turn over Craig Roser's shot for a corner in the 11th minute, before Lynn responded with some pressure of their own.
In the 17th minute Mark Burrows' header was hacked off the line, and five minutes later the same player and Stephenson had efforts scrambled away before the ball came back to Bacon who nodded home on the line.
Stephenson then sent David Staff away a minute later, but his drive came back off the Tonbridge post and was cleared for a corner, from which Jack Defty headed over with the goal at his mercy.
Lynn sat back again and at times looked happy to gift Tonbridge a goal.
Eleven minutes before the break Peter Overton had a shot blocked on the line and soon after Mark Greatorex saw a drive flash wide of the post following a flowing move.
Bacon's contribution came to a premature end on the stroke of half-time, when the striker limped off with a foot injury.
The Walks outfit looked more solid after the interval, but survived another scare in the 53rd minute when Greygoose was called into action to deny Nick Barnes.
Tonbridge were lucky to end the game with a full quota of players on the pitch after two acts of clear petulance were only punished with yellow cards.
In the 63rd minute, Lloyd Hume was unhappy with Watts' challenge on his keeper and shoved the striker to the ground.
Nine minutes later Glen Cook was involved in an incident which left Watts sprawled on the floor and needing treatment, but after consultation with his linesman Cook was only booked.
In between Tonbridge's bookings, Lynn defender Mark Burrows had his name taken for rolling the ball away two yards after the referee had blown up for a free-kick.
The decisions left the 550 strong crowd furious, but the Linnets kept their cool on the pitch by adding a third with the goal of the game near the end.
Midfielder Paul Raynor picked out Stephenson with a delightful 40-yard pass and the striker, who did little to impress in the 84 minutes that had passed, nonchalantly lobbed the advancing keeper. Lynn: Greygoose, Jones, Cowling, Burrows, Fuff, Defty, Weston, Raynor, Bacon (Watts 45), Stephenson (Harris 85), Staff. Subs not used: Blake, Ortega, Dobrowolski.
Tonbridge: J. Radford, K. Pavey, S. Saunders, L. Hume, D. Tingley, G. Cook, N. Barnes, P. Overton, M. Greatorex (J. Beales 72), S. Searle, C. Roser. Subs not .used: R. Briggs, A. Walker.
Att: 887 Referee: D.J Cann (Norwich).
Shots on
Shots off
Free kicks
Lynn857221 Defty (52, late challenge)
Burrows (66, kicking ball away)
Tonbridge5211213 Hume (63, violent conduct)
Cook (69, violent conduct)

Lynn News Man of the Match: Adam Weston
Report by permission of the Lynn News