• blueandgold
  • amazon
  • facebook
  • easyfundraising
  • twitter
Blue & Gold Trust Official Website

Lincoln Unted 0 King's Lynn 3
15th September 2007
Linnets striker Matt Nolan opened his account for the season with a brace as Lynn marched through to the second qualifying round of the FA Cup and a trip to Stourbridge on Saturday, September 29.
Nolan struck in the 13th and 35th minutes, with a headed Mark Warren goal in between, as Lynn sunk their hosts with a dominant first-half showing.
Linnets boss Keith Webb said: "Any cup game is never easy, whoever you are up against, and you've got to earn the right to go through and I thought we did that today.
"We started the game where we left off against Swindon Supermarine the previous Saturday and some of our quality was fantastic.
"It was a thoroughly professional performance. We didn't allow Lincoln to play and didn't give them too many opportunities to score."
Lincoln boss John Ramshaw was unhappy after seeing his side soundly beaten, and said: "I thought we went into our shells and felt sorry for ourselves, which is unacceptable."
Lynn could even afford the luxury of resting striker John Turner, who was still feeling the effects of his recent hamstring injury.
Before the game Ramshaw likened the cup clash to Lincoln City taking on Premiership Newcastle.
And his assumption looked spot-on as Lynn blew away Lincoln's cup hopes with three goals in the first 35 minutes.
In the 13th minute, Chris Peet handled a Joe Francis centre in the box and Nolan made no mistake from the resulting spot-kick, sending the ball to the keeper's left.
Fifteen minutes before the break Danny Bloomfield and Nolan combined down the right before setting up Michael Frew, who was denied by a fine save by Ben Scott.
But Lynn doubled their advantage from the resulting corner when Warren was left unmarked to head home.
Four minutes later it was 3-0, when Frew left former Linnet Richard Butler in his wake before delivering the ball to Nolan, who finished with ease.
Despite his side's dominance, Scott Howie was twice called upon to make smart saves from Chris White and Justin Jenkins in the first 45 minutes.
With the game already won, Lynn eased down after the break, although Nolan was denied his hat-trick by the post and an impressive stop from Scott.
Lincoln's best chance of the whole game came in the dying seconds when home substitute John Douglas was thwarted by Howie.
The only sore point of a comfortable afternoon's work for Lynn was the sight of Warren limping off with a groin strain late on, leaving Lynn to play with just ten men after using all of their substitutes.
Lincoln Utd: Scott, Huckerby, Butler (Mellon 45), Brown, Peet, Glarvey, White, Rodman (Norris 69), Jenkins, Nangle (Douglas 62), Wallace. Subs not used: Mallinson, Alldred. . Booked: Peet (13, handball).
Lynn: Howie, West, Chapman, Warren, C. Defty, Camm, Frew (Spriggs 68), Melton (Fisk 56), Nolan, Bloomfield (J. Defty 77), Francis. Not used: Murray.
Referee: Mr. I. Dudley (Mansfield). Attendance: 271. MoM: Michael Frew.
, Lynn first: shots on target 9, 4; off target 4, 6; corners 10, 4; offside 2, 3; free-kicks 10, 17.
Report by permission of the Lynn News