• blueandgold
  • amazon
  • facebook
  • easyfundraising
  • twitter
Blue & Gold Trust Official Website

Bashley 1 King's Lynn 2
15th November 2003
CARETAKER boss Darren Bloodworth's footballing principles were clearly on show as the Linnets returned to winning ways with a fine display in Hampshire.
The Linnets looked a different side as they played the ball on the floor and worked hard for each other against a Bashley side fancied to be pushing for a place in the top seven at the end of the campaign.
Midfielder Carl Holmes helped himself to a brace, and displayed glimpses of his old self as Lynn put the sudden sacking of Peter Morris firmly behind them.
A delighted Bloodworth, whose last trip to Bashley as manager with Wisbech resulted in a 5-0 defeat, said: "The players did very well. They did everything we asked of them.
"Bashley are a good side but the scoreline didn't really reflect how well we played.
"They were professional and responded in the manner that I expected them to. The whole team from 1 to 11 were superb. There was nobody missing."
Lynn took the lead from the penalty spot after 11 minutes after the rejuvenated Malcolm Ndekwe had been tripped in the box following a fine pass from Mark Burrows.
Holmes, who had missed against Hastings from the spot a week earlier, made no mistake this time to fire the Linnets in front.
Both Jamie March and Ndekwe flashed efforts wide while Bashley keeper Michael Hookway foiled Holmes on at least three occasions.
Bashley fought back, Clothier shooting wide and Colverson having the ball in the net, only for it to be ruled out for offside. Jackson was also denied by a fine save from Steve Wilson to his left.
The home side were handed a lifeline 10 minutes into the second period with the award of a controversial penalty after Wilson was adjudged t( have pushed Andy Culliford.
Justice looked to have beer done when Wilson brilliantly saved Ollie Cherrett's penalty kick, but the Bashley player was quickest to the rebound t( loft the ball over Wilson.

But Lynn were back ahead three minutes later, and it was Holmes again who was the thorn in the New Forest out fit's side.
David Staff delivered a free kick from the left and back headers from Ndekwe first and then Jack Defty saw the ball fall to Holmes who sweetly volleyed home.
The final 20 minutes be longed to Lynn, who never looked like conceding for second time, despite Adam Jones having to replace the injured Burrows at centre half and Chris Glarvey coming on to fill the right-back slot.
Deep into injury time a short back pass from Gary Connolly to his keeper fell nicely for substitute Chris Bacon, who rounded Hookway before coming back from a tight angle to round the keeper again.
By the time he was in a position to attempt a shot on target he slipped and Hookway was able to gather the ball.
Bashley: Hookway Gazzard, Graves, Cherrett, (Gee 70), Darnton, Cook, lothier (Connolly 62), Gibbons, Jackson, Whiddett, Culliford. Not used: Colverson, Tickner, Hussey.
Lynn: Wilson, Jones, March, Burrows (Glarvey 57), Fuff, Defty, Camm, Raynor, Ndekwe (Bacon 70Y Holmes, Staff. Subs not used: Woodrow, Nobes, Blake.
Referee: Stephen Phipps (Oxon). Attendance: 152. MoM: Carl Holmes.
Report by permission of the Lynn News