• blueandgold
  • amazon
  • facebook
  • easyfundraising
  • twitter
Blue & Gold Trust Official Website

King's Lynn 3 Banbury United 1
16th February 1974
GETTING the result and entertaining the fans are two aspects of football that don't often go together in the Southern League these days.
But Lynn achieved it on Saturday when they rocked Banbury's promotion hopes.
What a pity this performance was watched by only 367 fans, the lowest league gate of the season at The Walks.
If the Linnets had only turned it on like this in their Sunday fixtures against Witney and Leamington, when the turnstiles were merrily clicking they could have expected to hold the surge in interest; now it needs a few more Saturday efforts like this to persuade the missing fans to return.
Banbury helped in the entertainment stakes by keeping the game open and they also helped Lynn achieve the result by handing them a couple of goals.
But although Banbury players probably had thoughts on their forthcoming FA Trophy third round tie against Dartford, there was no mistaking this was a game they did not want to lose.
With only two defeats in 22 league matches they were still in contention for one of the two promotion places.
It was Lynn, however, who looked the higher placed side as they found acres of room on the wings to stretch the Banbury defence.
Return of John Kerr into the defence for the first league game at The Walks since his re-signing allowed Malcolm Lindsay to return to the attack. He celebrated with a couple of goals to lift Lynn to their first home league win. since September 22.
Lindsay's first came in the second minute. A centre from Dominic McCallum was stopped in the goalmouth by defender Dave Matthews who should have made the clearance; instead he tried a back pass to keeper Stuart Rennies which Lindsay was waiting for to score easily.
In the fifth minute Tony Jacques headed in Banbury's equaliser, not being picked up on the six-yard line as Jim Cassidy's free kick floated in. Jacques and Tony Foster, a 31-goal dual striking partnership, were to keep Mick Wright and Nigel Smith occupied for most of the game, but Jacques only got one more good chance.
The quick-scoring routine continued in the 14th minute. Wignall sent Lindsay down the right with a probing pass and the high centre was headed in by David Clarke who only had to get a touch after Rennies had slipped.
Play was held up on the half hour when Boston referee T. Appleby received treatment for cramp from trainer Percy Hooper.
Mr Appleby decided he was fit to continue, but it did not seem a wise move because he had difficulty in keeping up with play.
Lynn ended the half with just the single goal advantage but they should have been further ahead, with McCallum not making the best use of space on the right.
In the second half Jacques missed with a six-yard header and then almost immediately came the best move of the match. Lynn moved out of defence with a quick burst and Clarke opened it up with a cross-field pass to McCallum who laid it on for Lindsay. When the centre came in Clarke lost some time getting the ball to his left toot and his close range shot was blocked.
McCallum, who had been limping with a knee injury for much of the half, gave way to Ray Elliott in the 74th minute. Three minutes later Elliott robbed Pollard in mid-field and ran at the defence, drawing Svenson out before pushing his pass through to give Lindsay another simple chance.
Elliott himself could have got into the scoring act in the last few minutes as Banbury tired and Wignall, admirably effective once again in midfield, broke through for a spectacular shot which Rennies instinctively pushed over. Lynn: Steel, Richardson, Kerr. Brooks, Smith, Wright, McCallum (sub Elliott 74), Lindsay. Rudd. Wignall. Clarke.
Banbury: Rennies, Cassidy. Haynes, Moalsdale, Svenson. Matthews, Archibald. Foster, Jacques. Pollard. Hastie (sub Duester).
Referee: T. Appleby (Boston). Attendance 367.
Report by permission of the Lynn News