• blueandgold
  • amazon
  • facebook
  • easyfundraising
  • twitter
Blue & Gold Trust Official Website

King's Lynn 1 Rugby Town 1
16th August 2005
DOMINATION counts for little in football as the Linnets found out on Tuesday night.
Tommy Taylor's side were good value for their second win of the season, before Rugby stole a share of the spoils with a last-gasp equaliser.
The Linnets had nine efforts off target, 14 corners and most of the possession compared to Rugby's three chances off target and five corners.
Twice the woodwork denied Adam Smith, while Rugby's solitary effort on target produced their late leveller - an own goal from Simon Clark.
Linnets manager Tommy Taylor said: "I thought we were excellent in the first half. I couldn't have asked of anymore from the players.
"We cut them to pieces at times and delivered some great crosses into the box.
"We had nobody on their thrower which led to the goal and we gave away too many silly free-kicks."
Taylor stuck with the same starting XI, which had finished the game at Gloucester three days previously.
Charlie Defty maintained his position in the centre of midfield and it was he who saw a long-range effort go wide of the target in the opening exchanges.
The Linnets continued to attack in force with right-back Dean West flying forward at every opportunity.
West delivered some telling balls into the box, while the Linnets forced several early corners, one of which saw Jack Defty set up Danny Bloomfield, whose flick was scrambled clear.
The hard-working Smith saw his drive whistle wide, before Simon Clark saw his header somehow forced away.
West was a constant thorn in Rugby's side and twice in the space of two minutes his centre's caused havoc in the visitors penalty area.
Grant Cooper's persistence in the box saw Clark's volley fly past the post former Linnet Steve Wilson's post in the 31st minute and soon after, Bloomfield headed over after West and Cedric Anselin exchanged passes on the right.
Just as it looked as though Lynn's first half pressure would count for nothing, a West cross was returned in by Smith on the left for Jack Defty to nod home.
There was still time for Smith to conjure up a superb bit of skill and unleash an effort which rebounded off Wilson's woodwork.
Lynn lacked the same urgency after the break, although Jack Defty drilled just wide and Smith struck the crossbar for a second time.
Two minutes from time, Lynn went to sleep at a throw in and Rory Squire's bundled attempt struck Clark and into the empty net.
Rugby's Chris Tullin saw his shot go inches wide of Jon Higgs' post in the last minute, while in injury time Anselin's free-kick was tipped over by Wilson in a desperate finish from Lynn.
Lynn: Higgs, West, Camm, C. Defty, Cooper, Clark, Kelly, J. Defty (Roach 84), Smith Bloomfield (Harris 84), Anselin. Not used: McNeil, Harvey and Benstead.
Rugby: S. Wilson, C. Tullin, D. Gordon, A. Peaks, R. Gould, R. Squire, S. Smethers (S. Williams 78), R. Maddox, K. Slinn (D. Stone 50), J. Rowe, D. Williams (M. Green 88). Not used: R. Wesley and D. Hazel.
Referee: Mr G. Kett (Norwich).
Attendance: 889.
MoM: Dean West.
Report by permission of the Lynn News