• blueandgold
  • amazon
  • facebook
  • easyfundraising
  • twitter
Blue & Gold Trust Official Website

Farsley Celtic 1 King's Lynn 1
17th January 2009
A hotly-disputed 93rd-minute equaliser denied Lynn their first victory since November 8 at Farsley's Throstle Nest on Saturday.
The Linnets had gone ahead through Andrew Fisk's 78th-minute goal, but Celtic's substitute Scott Broughton scrambled home in injury time, with a number of players - including Ben Chapman - adamant that Broughton used his hand.
Lynn boss Keith Webb, who was unhappy with key decisions, said: "Our goalkeeper had two hands on the ball, but the ball was bundled out of his hands.
"I'm not one to criticise referees, but there was also a blatant penalty. I don't know what a fellow has to do to concede a penalty.
"Had it been at King's Lynn we'd have got it. If he hadn't have given it at King's Lynn I don't think he would have got out alive!
"The two decisions cost us dearly. It was a bit galling that we were 1-0 up in the 93rd minute and gave away a corner and a goal. It was like the Gainsborough game.
"It was a good, battling performance, and I can't emphasise enough that if they keep doing those things, then they will turn results around."
Jack Defty had a one-match suspension. Robert Murray made his first start of the season because first choice goalkeeper Scott Howie was injured.
Fisk came in for the injured Scott Mitchell in midfield, where Gavin Hurren, who signed on Friday from Mansfield Town, debuted. Reserves forward Dominic Dwyer was on the bench.
The first half was poor, with little action and neither keeper with much to do.
Michael Frew had the best chance, keeper Curtis Aspden saving his effort on ten minutes.
Then on 35 minutes Frew was fed by Graham, but in his quest to remain onside he lost control of the ball, which went through to Aspden.
Hurren was brought down by Amjad Iqbal on the edge of the Celtic box, but the referee waved play on.
In the opening of the second half Mark Camm brought off a good save for a corner, taken by Frew.
Luke Graham met it with a header which hit the angle of post and bar.
Hurren's follow-up was kicked off the line by Iqbal.
With both teams now playing well, Murray saved from Lee Tuck and ex-Halifax Tn forward Andy Campbell in the space of five minutes around the hour mark.
On 65 minutes the hosts' Speight had the ball in the net, but this was disallowed for offside.
Lynn went ahead when Graham, from his own half, put in a good ball to Julian Joachim, who turned his defender.
Joachim and Frew were brilliantly denied by Aspden, but Fisk placed the ball low into the net from 15 yards.
Home keeper Aspden went up and headed goalwards at an injury-time corner as everyone piled into the Lynn box, and in the scramble Broughton got the final touch.
Lynn's protests were in vain to seal their 13th draw in 23 league games.
Farsley Celtic: Aspden, Price, Serrant (Broughton 85), Iqbal, Knowles, Bentham, Downes, Krief, Campbell, Speight, Tuck. Subs not used: Saynor, Benford, Jackson, Driscoll. Booked: Speight 44.
Lynn: Murray, Graham, Chapman, Thomas, Crane, Camm, Fisk, Hurren, Frew, Joachim, Smith (Francis 70). Not used: Weaver, Kelly, Dwyer, Howie. Booked: Fisk 44.
Referee: Mr K. Mattocks. Att: 309. MoM: Luke Graham.
Stats, Lynn first: shots on target 6, 4; off target 2, 4; corners 2, 6; offside 8, 3; free-kicks 5, 10.
Report by permission of the Lynn News