• blueandgold
  • amazon
  • facebook
  • easyfundraising
  • twitter
Blue & Gold Trust Official Website

King's Lynn 1 Bath City 1
18th March 1959
It was a vastly improved Lynn who tackled Bath City in the semi-final of the Southern League Cup at the Walks on Wednesday. There was more fight and urgency about their play and with more decisive finishing they would have won deservedly.
Neilson was back to his best form, and his strength in defence and in support of the attack played a big role in putting Lynn on top for a larger proportion of the match.
In brilliant form was right winger Baxter, and others to impress were Docherty at left back and Lay at right back.
The first half was a scrappy affair but the second half produced a fast entertaining duel with each side striving to improve upon their first half score of one goal each.
Lynn opened unimpressively and it was eight minutes before they launched their first attack of any consequence. Then they almost scored. Neilson went through and pushed a pass on to Luke. Dixon went for the ball, had his shot blocked, then Luke headed back to Dixon, but Gooch punched clear. Neilson tried to lob into the unguarded goal but an awkward bounce resulted in him putting over the bar.
Lynn showed much more fight than they had done on Saturday but Bath were often dangerous and from a left wing centre Graver headed just wide.
Though Lynn's attack were inclined to overdo their ball play in the penalty area the Bath defence looked suspect and when they kicked clear they did so with great gusto.
Both Hunter and Baxter showed some brilliant touches on the wings but Lynn were unable to press home the advantage gained from this work.
Little was seen of the Bath attack as Lynn gradually got on top, though Fleming playing deep came up once to show his shooting power with a drive which flashed just wide.
In a quick breakaway Graver got the edge on Lay and a desperate dive by Manning averted danger until Flint raced on to the ball only to fire over.

After a period of sustained pressure Bath hit back. There was plenty of muddled play around the Lynn penalty area and it was during a spell of this, following a right wing move, that Bath went ahead in the 33rd minute. FLEMING crashing a loose ball through a crowd of players.
Again Lynn moved to the attack. Luke fired over, and then Lynn forced two quick corners without result.
Fleming playing a deep inside left game, doubling up behind Graver showed shred constructive ability and twice Lay forced two corners in cutting out his dangerous passes.
Just on half time Lynn equalised. Luke had a shot blocked, as it ran away Gooch brought down Dixon who was seeking to gain possession. From the penalty spot LUKE netted.
Second half play opened very fast with both attacks coming into the picture, Foulkes blocked a stinging drive from Fleming and at the other end Dixon sent just wide with an overheard kick from a Baxter cross.
Both sides attacked eagerly and against none-too-safe defences might have scored several goals but for bad passing.
At the Bath end Gooch flung himself across the goal to make a brilliant save from Dixon whose fierce drive looked certain to score.
Bath had an escape when Meadows deflected a pass by Dixon past Gooch and narrowly wide of his own goal
Showing great fight Lynn forced Bath to the defensive, but try as they might hey could not get in a likely shot and Bath went away with a smart attack which ended with Bevin firing across goal and wide.
But Lynn, too, had their escapes. Bevin forcing his way in, got the ball across and Graver, who with an open goal before him, slid after the ball but turned it wide. Manning later turned over the top a hard drive from Bevin.
Report by permission of the Lynn News