• blueandgold
  • amazon
  • facebook
  • easyfundraising
  • twitter
Blue & Gold Trust Official Website

King's Lynn 1 Workington 3
18th April 2009
IF the performances of the past month are anything to go by, you have to feel sorry for the supporters who have already committed themselves to buying a season ticket for next season.
The hapless Linnets ended their first home campaign in the Blue Square North on a disappointing note with another dour and uninspiring display.
Jack Defty's goal gave the final score a rather flattering look after Workington ' helped by more abject defending ' had cruised into a 3-0 lead thanks to a brace from Andy Cook.
Linnets boss Keith Webb said: "We wanted to go out with a bang, but we were lacking that bit of quality in the final third ' that bit of pace ' to hurt them.
"You can't legislate for individual errors. The mistake from Greg Crane cost us, and we lost the second goal under no pressure, which really put us on the back foot.
"When things are going wrong for you, you get punished for your mistakes.
"The way the season has panned out, to get so close, and then it'll be remembered for the wrong reasons.
"We're safe and circumstances have made things difficult, but we should have been in a better position.
"I tried a different shape last week and that didn't work, I tried something this week and that didn't work due to individual mistakes.
"I'm limited to what I can do," Webb added, referring to a squad made threadbare by injuries to Bradley Thomas (foot) and Ross Kelly (out for the rest of the season with an ankle ligament problem).
Kris Renton injured his knee in the warm up and captain Andy Johnson went off at half-time with a groin strain.
Webb added: "You want your more experience players in there at the start. I brought on Dominic Dwyer, who is a player who makes an impact."
Webb was forced to shuffle his pack with Bradley Thomas failing a fitness test before the game while Johnson's withdrawal added to the manager's woes.
With Lynn's lack of interest clearly apparent, the only surprise was that it took Workington 35 minutes to break the deadlock.
It came courtesy of a gift from Greg Crane, whose awful error was punished by the alert Cook.
The Reds doubled their advantage ten minutes into the second period when Mark Camm was dispossessed by Jonny Wright, who set up Cook for his second goal.
Workington's third arrived in the 77th minute when substitute Callum Ruttledge was left unmarked to convert a Andrew Hardman cross.
Fed-up fans had already made their frustrations clear with some sarcastic banter whenever Lynn had an effort on goal or strung a few passes together.
A few even celebrated when Workington netted their third goal, while others called for Webb to be sacked.
The delayed introduction of Dominic Dwyer gave the Linnets a little bit of urgency for the final 15 minutes.
Jack Defty reduced the arrears nine minutes from time when he tapped home from close range to end a Linnets goal drought which just fell ten minutes short of eight hours.
A campaign which promised so much has ended up delivering so little with the players just going through the motions in the final weeks of the season.
Perhaps the biggest applause of the afternoon came at the end-of-season presentations for Lynn News sports editor Peter Woodhouse, who is probably thankful that he was attending his last-ever Linnets match after Saturday's latest debacle on the pitch.
Lynn: Howie, Graham, Smith, Peters, Crane, Camm, C. Defty, Johnson (Fisk 45), J. Defty, Joachim, Mitchell (Dwyer 71). Subs (not used): Renton, Murray.
Goal: J. Defty (81).
Workington: Collin, Langford, A. Wright, Gordon, Edmondson (Ruttledge 22), McLuckie, Robinson (Main 76), Hopper, J. Wright (Arnison 76), Cook, Hardman. Sub (not used): Rowntree.
Goals: Cook (35, 55) Ruttledge (71).
Referee: G. Law (Leics).
Attendance: 884.
MoM: Lynn's brave fans after another pitiful effort from the players.
Stats, Lynn first: shots on target 1, 2; off target 5, 5; corners 5, 6; offside 4, 4; free-kicks conceded 13, 9.
Report by permission of the Lynn News