• blueandgold
  • amazon
  • facebook
  • easyfundraising
  • twitter
Blue & Gold Trust Official Website

King's Lynn 4 Yarmouth 3
King's Lynn 4 Yarmouth 3
18th September 2010
JOINT King's Lynn boss Kevin Boon had the smile of a very relieved man after his side were given an almighty scare by Yarmouth in Saturday's pulsating second qualifying round tie at The Walks.
Aided by some generous Lynn defending, Yarmouth stormed into a 2-0 lead inside the opening 35 minutes.
But a gifted Linnets side produced a stunning comeback, largely thanks to a brace from Jack Defty and some more magic from Jamie Thurlbourne, to book a first round tie at Thrapston on October 2.
After the game Boon lamented some of his side's defending, while praising the character of his players for turning the tie around.
Boon said: " At times our football was scintiallating but to concede the goals we did, in mine and Setch's eyes (Gary Setchell), was just not good enough.
"We just weren't at the races in the first 20 minutes and perhaps we gave Yarmouth too much respect. "That was one of the poorest starts to a game we have made, but even by half-time we could have scored five goals ourselves.
"But you have to give our boys credit for the character and commitment they showed because they dug in and turned it around, and they did the same against Dereham in the previous round."
Boon added: "With the players we have at the club we'll always create chances because we have so much quality, but we have to seal it up at the back.
"If you're a defender that it your job, not to bring it down or take an extra touch and make no mistake those players have been told. Setch said to me after the game that one day that will come back and bite us and he's right."
Yarmouth boss Paul Tong said: "Realistically, it was never going to be our day. Maybe if we had got 20 minutes into the second half then you start to dream but anyone who paid their money to come and watch got full value.
"I had to pinch myself when we went 2-0 up and said to my assistant this is a dream.
"I wanted to give Lynn a game and I think we did that. Lynn have some quality players and I hope they go a long way in the competition."
Former Linnet Luke Fell produced a telling finish after eight minutes to give Yarmouth the lead before turning provider for Shaun Hows to double the Bloaters' lead in the 32nd minute.
As normal Lynn created chance after chance, but had to rely on a rather fortuitous penalty decision for Jack Defty to reduce the arrears from the spot just before the interval.
Two goals in the space of a second half minute calmed Town's frayed nerves.
Defty rose above the Yarmouth defence to glance home Jamie Alsop's cross before Steve Spriggs notched his second goal in consecutive games.
Lynn's best goal came as the game went into added time.
Jamie Thurlbourne brilliantly won the ball down the left before playing an exquisite pass for substitute Scott Cubberley to outpace the visiting defence and fire home.
Yarmouth's highly-rated striker Jake Reed then pounced on some more comical defending to fire past Alex Street with virtually the last kick of the match.

King's Lynn Town: Street, Bexfield, Alsop, J Thurlbourne, McNeil, Ablett (Buhlemann 45), Spriggs (Smith 79), White, Defty, Harris (Cubberley 69), J Thurlbourne. Subs (not used): Doherty, Hails.
Yarmouth: Hilton, King, Savage, Roberts, Magee, Catchpole, Woodcock (Vide 59), Smith, Howes (Norman 63), Reed, Fell (Bell 81). Subs (not used): Durrant, Jessup.
Attendance: 865.
Man-of-the-match: Jamie Thurlbourne.
Report by permission of the Lynn News