• blueandgold
  • amazon
  • facebook
  • easyfundraising
  • twitter
Blue & Gold Trust Official Website

King's Lynn 4 Skegness 1
18th September 1971
MALCOLM LINDSAY scored his 200th goal for Lynn on Saturday to help bundle Skegness out of the F.A. Cup At The Walks.
"At the start of the season we worked it out that I had scored 198 for the club. Today's was my fourth of the season, so that brings up the 200," confirmed Lindsay after the match.
Lindsay could not have wished for an easier chance for his golden goal and overall Lynn could not have wished for a more convincing win over the strong Midland League side.
In the second qualifying round they travel to meet Wisbech who won 1-0 at Spalding.
Lynn team manager Mick Wright said after the match that he had never been worried by Skegness. "They may have looked to have a lot of the ball, in the second half especially, but they were either moving it back or across field. They did not get any penetration and did not get any shots until they scored."
Skegness player-manager Geoff Farrar bemoaned the fact that his side had "given away three goals". He said: "In my heart I knew that we could not come back with the injuries we had against a strong side like Lynn."
Farrar also revealed why Skegness had started with only ten men. He explained that centre half Phil Shrewsbury had been held up in a traffic jam after a crash near the Cut Bridges and arrived at the ground late.
Shrewsbury walked to the touchline just as Lindsay centred for DAVID CLARKE to head Lynn into a fourth minute lead. In the 18th minute Chris Daniels - the Skegness Charlie George - marred his good display by giving away a goal. In a tight situation in front of his own goal, Daniels tried a back pass to Bryan Utteridge. He succeeded to passing straight to Mlckie Bloxham who squared the ball for LINDSAY to shoot into an empty net.
Lynn's third in the 79th minute had Utteridge hanging his head to shame. He was completely deceived by DAVID BROOKS' lob shot which went over his outstretched hands, the ball going off the face of the bar and bouncing over the line.
Skegness forward line was weakened when Keith Mincher went off with a back injury and Dave Beckers struggled with a groin injury, But the Midland League side struggled on bravely and pulled one back in the 83rd minute, PETE CARTER sweeping in to slam in a low centre from substitute Richmond.
Lynn went through a scrappy period in the second half, They eventually lifted themselves in the 80th minute when Lindsay and Rudd combined to put Bloxham clear on the right, the winger cutting in and finding a big gap to pass through for RUDD to score a deserved goal.
Lynn: Steel Ricketts. Radcliffe, Robinson, Painter, Wright, Brooks, Clarke, Rudd, Lindsay, Bloxham. (sub: Kerr).
Skegness: Utteridge. ColIinson, Farrar, Carter, Shrewsbury, Lancaster, Blake, Armstrong, Mincher (sub. Richmond), Daniels, Beckers.
Attendance: 1126
Report by permission of the Lynn News