• blueandgold
  • amazon
  • facebook
  • easyfundraising
  • twitter
Blue & Gold Trust Official Website

King's Lynn 1 Ashford 0
18th October 2003
THE flu-ridden Linnets stuttered their way back to winning ways with a less than convincing performance in front of their home faithful.
A dubious penalty decision nine minutes into the second period handed the Linnets, without three players through flu, the points in a game Ashford could have easily won.
The Kent side twice hit the post and had two other efforts ruled out for offside as Lynn grimly held on to their slender advantage in the final 20 minutes.
Recent signing Mark Camm impressed and his performance, along with that of Jack Defty and defender Glen Fuff, were the only bright spots in an otherwise forgettable 90 minutes.
Chances were few and far between for both sides and the first threat for either team came in the 11th minute when Defty's long-range effort rarely looked like troubling the Ashford keeper.
Four minutes later Ashford had the ball in the net when Adrian Stone converted Lewis Phillips' through ball, but the goal was disallowed for offside.
Ashford's discipline let them down at times, with four of their players finding their way into Mr Kett's notebook, two of which came in the space of one first-half minute.

Twelve minutes before the break, Malcolm Ndekwe became the latest player to put his name forward for the miss of the season award when, under no pressure and with bags of time on his side, he sliced a shot wide from just eight yards out after Camm's persistence had pierced open the Ashford rearguard.
Eight minutes after the restart Camm knocked Staff's cross into the path of Raynor just inside the box, before the midfielder went over as though he'd been shot after the merest of touches from Tom Adlington.
Staff confidently stepped up to tuck away the resulting spot-kick, but other than half chances for the same player and Defty, it was the last seen from Lynn as an attacking force.
Ashford sensed that Lynn were happy with just the one goal and Joby Thorogood's crisp shot struck the bottom of the Lynn post from a Phillips cross with 16 minutes left on the clock.
Ndekwe flashed a shot wide in a brief Lynn attack before up the other end Thorogood's chested effort hit the post and fell to Stone, who was somehow thwarted by Wilson, who scrambled back to make a vital stop.
The offside flag denied Ashford again in the dying seconds as the Lynn goal lived a charmed life, but for once luck remained on the Linnets' side.
Lynn: Wilson, Glarvey, March, Hyde, Fuff, Defty, Staff, Raynor, Ndekwe, Harris (Woodrow 76), Camm. Subs not used: Harvey, Heath-Preston and Nobes.
Ashford: J. Whitehouse, J. Westwood (B. Gardner 49), D. Hlll, A. O'Leary, R. Gillman (M. Anderson 45), I. Ross, M. Porter (L. McRobert 63), T. Adlington, A. Stone, J. Thorogood, L. Phillips. Not used: S. Saunders, K. Skinner.
Bookings, Lynn: Ndekwe (late challenge 53); Ashford: Gillman (dissent 25), Adlington (late challenge 26), Westwood (late challenge 48), Phillips (dissent 57).
Referee: G. Kett (Norwich).
Attendance: 714.
MoM: .Jack Defty and Mark Camm
Report by permission of the Lynn News