• blueandgold
  • amazon
  • facebook
  • easyfundraising
  • twitter
Blue & Gold Trust Official Website

King's Lynn 4 South Liverpool 0
19th February 1983
Freddie Easthall tormented the South Liverpool defence with a first half hat-trick on Saturday. It paved the way for an excellent win over a side who have proved difficult Northern Premier League opponents in the past.
So often this season the Linnets have found it difficult to prise open visiting defences at The Walks, but a goal coming as early as the fourth minute meant that South Liverpool had to go forward. That early strike came when Paul Bartlett's free-kick was headed in by EASTHALL and when keeper Brian Parkinson failed to hold the ball, the Lynn striker was in quickly to turn in a slick right foot shot.
Eager to build on that, Easthall was only inches wide with a 14th minute volley after a forceful run by Chris Watts. Although South Liverpool then settled down, and Dave Perry hooked in one shot which Andy Claxton turned over the bar, there was to be no stopping Easthall, his second goal came in the 29th minute, when he again linked up with Bartlett on the left. The low cross from the winger was met by EASTHALL who looped in a shot which completely deceived the keeper and dropped over his head and into the net.
Young defender Martin Lindsay set up the third goal when he made a superb run through South Liverpool's defence in the 37th minute when they had pushed forward to set an offside trap. Lindsay's shot was blocked by Parkinson. but he went into head towards the goalmouth and there was EASTHALL to finish it off. It was the first time Easthall had scored a hat-trick in Linnets colours.

With nothing to lose, South Liverpool made the early running in the second half and could have had a couple of goals but for a fingertip save by Claxton and then a last-gasp tackle by Craig Thompson. It took Lynn some time to get moving again and when Andy Higgins threatened to break clear on a solo run, he was hacked down by the last defender, John Carroll, who was promptly booked.
Jim Kabia was back in the Linnets attack after his two match ban and had been overshadowed by Easthall's goal touch but he went close in the 71st minute with a shot which Parkinson blocked with his legs and then a header which flashed over the bar.
Just after this came LINDSAY's moment of glory. He stayed well forward during a Linnets attack and his persistence was rewarded when he nipped in between full-back Featherstone and the goalkeeper to slide a low shot into the net. Sharing in the delight was his father Malcolm, watching from the stands, 'Dad' was scorer of 340 goals for the Linnets, the last in the 1979-80 season, and now the Lindsay name is being continued by his son.
It obviously wasn't going to be South Liverpool's afternoon and their misery was completed when Jim Thornton side-footed a penalty wide of the post after he had been brought down by Andy Higgins.,

Lynn: Claxton; Wilson, Wiles, Bircumshaw. Lindsay; Thompson, Higgins, Watts; Easthall, Kabia, Bartlett. Sub: Rudd.
South Liverpool: Parkinson. Kirkwood. Feitherstone, Iro, Carroll (sub Smith 70 mins), Wood, Perry, Thornton, Brunt, Roberts, McFerran.
Referee: T. Simpson (West York). Attendance: 307 .
Report by permission of the Lynn News