• blueandgold
  • amazon
  • facebook
  • easyfundraising
  • twitter
Blue & Gold Trust Official Website

Solihull Borough 0 King's Lynn 1
19th March 2005
Darran Hay struck in the fourth minute of the second half to complete a league double against the second from bottom club to keep the Linnets' slim play-off hopes alive.
Boss Tommy Taylor said: "In the first half we cut them to pieces we just didn't finish, in the second we didn't play as well but scored the goal.
"A few of the boys were feeling unwell - Gary Setchell, Jack Defty, Sam McMahon - but they had to play, they were all we had.
"Simon Clark twisted his knee in the Reserves last week and didn't travel, while Mark Camm was 50/50 with his groin but was all right at the back.
"Stephen Harvey took a whack in a tackle, we don't know if it's serious.
"Darran has taken a bit of flak, but he's got four people on him. He's on his own, he's making space and knocking balls off and it's up to others to score."
Hay said: "I've scored a couple of important goals but the main importance has been we've got the three points.
"We're still in with a little squeak of the play-offs but I think we need six or seven wins. It would be nice to turn over Histon twice.
"I'm still coming to terms with the different styles of play, but I like the way we play, we try and keep the ball on the ground.
"Performances go out of the window at this time of year.
Hay, signed from his home-town Hitchin last month, added: "I've got another season left in me and maybe something after that. I'm 35 now and have got a bit left in my legs. As long as Tommy wants me around I'm happy to stay.
"As soon as we've done a pre-season together, I genuinely believe we should be going for the title." Hay and Robbie Harris, replacing Setchell, had early efforts blocked, a familiar story as chances went begging in a frustrating first half.
Jack Defty had one saved and Hay lobbed off-target.
On 24 minutes skipper Mark Angel hit the woodwork. It was a similar stuff from Boro, as Martin Hier hit the post.
After 48 minutes came the vital goal: Hay beat the offside trap to receive Sam McMahon's pass and lob keeper Mark Shiels.
On the hour Shiels denied Danny Bloomfield from a Defty through-ball, while Matt O'Halloran hit the post on 70 minutes after Defty and Hay had set him up.
Steve Wilson had to acrobatically save a near own-goal from Danny Hammond's header late on.
Solihull: Sheils, Smith, Hier, Barry, Cooper, Peer, Jackson, Faulds (Hamilton 79), Shepperd (Hawker 64), Danks (Adams 79), Taylor. Subs not used: Stevenson, Fellows.
Booked: Cooper, Taylor.
Lynn: S. Wilson, Harvey (J. Wilson 63), Harris, McMahon, Hammond, Camm, O'Halloran (Bacon 84), Defty (Forshaw 75), Hay, Bloomfield, Angel. Not used: Setchell, Higgs.
Booked:Defty. Goal: Hay 48mins.
Referee: P. Carter (Ilkeston). Attendance: 242.
Report by permission of the Lynn News