• blueandgold
  • amazon
  • facebook
  • easyfundraising
  • twitter
Blue & Gold Trust Official Website

King's Lynn 5 Burnham 1
19th November 2002
LYNN rose into the top half of the table for the first time this season on the back of this handsome win.
A four-goal second half blitz means they have scored 37 times in 13 home games, and this latest excursion at The
fortress Walks saw the Linnets record their third straight league win, the first time this season.
Jack Defty with a brace flagged his third goal in two games, while David Staff contributed another trademark wonder goal.
Linnets manager Peter Morris said: "Staffy doesn't like tap-ins for sure, while Jack is looking more like a player every game.
"He's getting fitter for a big boy, and the way he made 50-60 yards for his second goal was tremendous. He saw what was on and `anent for it.
Everyone contributed. .

"We were slow out of the blocks to start with, which is unusual at home, but when the second goal went in, it gave the lads confidence.
"The second half we got forward better and delivered better passes."
Indeed, Lynn in patches played as badly as they have at home this season, particularly in a late ten-minute spell when both sides competed to see who could pass the worst.
But they showed moments of brilliance against a side that got a post-match midpitch roasting from management.
In one change up front from Saturday, Steve Johnson replaced Robbie Harris but was ineffective.
Lynn were restricted mainly to half-chances before the 28th minute- when defender Mark Burrows - one of the best passers in the side and useful going forward - got another tap-in.
Away keeper Dan Tillson tipper a Johnson header from Paul Raynor's corner on to the bar, and Burrows forced home the loose ball under the bar at the far post.
Burnham's best first half chance came just before the break following a mix-up over a Lynn throw. Ashley Martin was clean through, but Dean Greygoose was off his line quickly to save at his feet.
Five minutes after the interval Tillson tipped over a 20yard effort from Burrows.
But after 56 minutes Lynn scored twice in a minute.
A great through ball by Staff split the defence and Defty took his time before calmly lifting a left-foot shot past the keeper.'
Then Staff rifled a lethal right-foot blockbuster into the top of the net to get the crowd on its feet.
Burnham pulled one back in style five minutes later as Greygoose headed clear with an attacker bearing down on goal, but Tom Bryson sent it straight back into the net from 35 yards and trotted back to position without batting an eyelid.

"The lad volleyed it well as Dean headed it out 20 yards, and if it was on TV it would be shown again and again on `What Happened Next?'," added Morris.
A rash of substitutions disjointed play, as Staff placed the ball wide with sub Lee Stephenson free six yards out.
But with three minutes left Stephenson got his reward through a typical move from Adam Weston's pass: a cut inside and unstoppable shot past the keeper.
Greygoose tipped over a free-kick, then just before the end a quick break saw the ever-dangerous Staff break down the left and thread a perfect ball past two defenders for Defty to slide home his second strike.
Lynn: Greygoose, Jones, Cowling, Burrows, Fuff, Deft Weston, Raynor, Johnson (Stephenson 72), Staff, Holmes ( Blake 90). Subs not used: Anderson, Harris and Nobes.
Burnham: D. Tillson, L. Brown (R. Maye 75), P. Brett, M. O'Sullivan, T. Mitchell, S. Lockhart, T. Nutter, T. Bryson, A. Lennon, A. Martin (A. Ceesay 66), T. Lewis (A. Taha 66). Not used: G. Brown, I. Huie.
Att: 439.
Referee: G. Sandell (Norwich).
Shots on
Shots off
Free kicks

Lynn News Man of the Match - Mark Burrows
Report by permission of the Lynn News