• blueandgold
  • amazon
  • facebook
  • easyfundraising
  • twitter
Blue & Gold Trust Official Website

Team Bath 2 King's Lynn 1
20th January 2007
A Late goal from Steve Abbott dented Lynn's promotion aspirations and kept Team Bath's alive.
Abbott pounced three minutes into injury time to bag the three points as The Students defeated the Linnets for the first time in their history.
Linnets manager Keith Webb said: "The first half was very good, but we could have had two or three goals by half-time.
"In the second half we gave a goal away early on. For 37 minutes we held out, but Team Bath's full-time fitness told in the end.
"I'm just annoyed they were cheap goals we gave away.
"Team Bath didn't have to work for them. We will learn from them.
"Overall, I was pleased with the way we played, the first half in particular."
Lynn had the better of the first 45 minutes, with Team Bath keeper Darren Chitty pressed into action to make a terrific save in the second minute.
Steve Melton threw over a high cross, which Frazer Toms headed across the goalmouth and Matt O'Halloran headed goalwards, but Chitty leapt athletically to tip the effort over the bar.
Skipper Saunders spotted Lynn keeper Shaun Marshall off his line and almost scored with an audacious 40-yard lob but the ball drifted just wide.
Sean Canham had to be at his best in front of goal just before the half-hour mark – but this time it was his own side's goalmouth. Canham was on hand to clear Matt Nolan's effort off the line after Chitty could only parry Melton's shot.
But Lynn struck four minutes later through Michael Frew, who collected a long Dean West ball, out-paced Metitiri and rifled past the advancing Chitty.
Centre-back Matt Taylor almost levelled the scores on the stroke of half-time.
First, he forced a fine one-handed save from Shaun Marshall and, from Dan Dillon's resulting corner, he headed just over the bar.
Saunders equalised just after the break with his sixth goal in seven league games, when Marshall spilled the ball to him for an easy drill home.
Although Team Bath had the ascendancy in the second half, the game looked destined for a draw until the dying minutes, when both teams pressed for a winner.
Chitty had to race off his goal line to dive bravely at Andrew Fisk's feet on 88 minutes.
And then, three minutes into injury time, midfielder Abbott struck, side-footing the ball into an empty net after Marshall had found a Tinnion shot too hot to handle.
Team Bath: Chitty, Townley, Friend, Abbott, Taylor, Metitiri, Dillon, Saunders, Williams (M. Cooper 59), S. Canham, Tinnion. Subs not used: Graham, Llewellyn, Long, S. Cooper. Booked: Metitiri 30 mins, Dillon 53.
Goals: Saunders 48, Abbott 90.
Lynn: Marshall, West, Blois, Warren, G. Cooper, Camm, O'Halloran (J. Defty 66), Melton, Nolan (Cave-Brown 68), Frew, Toms (Fisk 58). Not used: Crane, McAnally.
Booked: Fisk 65. Goal: Frew 32. Referee: K. Haines (Windsor).
Attendance: 171.
Report by permission of the Lynn News