• blueandgold
  • amazon
  • facebook
  • easyfundraising
  • twitter
Blue & Gold Trust Official Website

King's Lynn 1 Enderby Town 0
20th January 1979
Duncan Wiles proved to be Lynn's match winner on Saturday against Southern League championship hopefuls Enderby.
The visitors' defence could never get to grips with the skilful Wiles, who now seems to be fulfilling with some consistence his undoubted potential.
Even before his goal, Wiles had given a clear warning to Enderby.
He fired in one snap shot which had Satchwell stretching and then figured in a good move with Benefer which ended with Goose shooting in for the keeper to make another fine save.
Enderby showed a lot of patience in the build-up for their attacks and the experienced Chris Balderstone directed many operations from midfield. But there was not too much bite in attack, although Ringwood once saved well from Cooper's header.
The first half seemed likely to finish without a goal when the Linnets struck gold. A quick break down the left saw McManus getting to the by-line and his centre was met by Wiles just inside the penalty area.
Although apparently hemmed in, Wiles wriggled through to get a shooting position and sent the ball firmly into the corner of the net well away from the reach of Satchwell.
Lifted by this goal, Lynn were more positive in the second half, with Lindsay and Wiles being given more room up front as Enderby pushed forward for an equaliser.
Wiles made two forceful breaks which ended with shots going just over and even full back Rider joined in the fun with a 25-yarder which was heading for the top corner of the net until Satchwell made a finger-tip save. Lindsay also went close, getting free on the right and shooting past the keeper only to see the ball rebound off the post.
Enderby, trying to extend their unbeaten run which had extended over 20 league games and which had taken them into second place behind Merthyr, tried desperately in the last 15 minutes and it needed cool heads in the Lynn defence to keep them out.
There were some frantic scrambles around the penalty area, yet Enderby managed only one clear-cut chance. This came when Graham Cross lifted a centre behind the Lynn back line and Massey met it with a header which flew over Ringwood's bar.
So Lynn held out for both points and once again deserved the warm praise they were given by the home supporters.
With Rudd missing because of illness, the Linnets resources were fully stretched to turn out a side. Youngster Steve Willis was drafted into the squad from the reserves as substitute.
This match was an unhappy debut in the Enderby side for former Leicester favourite Graham Cross. He was a regular in the City side for many years and played in their FA Cup final side in 1969 when Manchester City won the trophy.
A switch to Preston did not work out and Cross was recently released on a free transfer. Enderby situated just outside Leicester, quickly stepped in.
Both Cross and team mate Balderstone are in the Leicestershire County Cricket team.
Lynn: Ringwood: Wilson, Rider, Johnston, Wright; Watts, Benefer, Goose; McManus Lindsay, Wiles. Sub: Willis.
Enderby: Satchwell, Goode, Potter, Balderstone, Walker, Cross, Cooper, Welford, Billington, Hearne, Massey. Sub Bradshaw.
Report by permission of the Lynn News