• blueandgold
  • amazon
  • facebook
  • easyfundraising
  • twitter
Blue & Gold Trust Official Website

King's Lynn 3 Rothwell Town 4
20th August 2002
LYNN were on the wrong end of a seven goal thriller on Tuesday through sloppy defending and are still seeking their first points.
In an action packed first home match of the season, the Linnets suffered their first ever home defeat to Rothwell Town.
The visitors' only shot on target in the first half was their goal and the Linnets were by far the better side.
But they lost their, way, conceding three second-half strikes.
Lynn manager Peter Morris said: "If you're a neutral it was a good game, if you're a Lynn fan it was a bit of a torment .
"We started so brightly, got a smashing goal and could have had more.
"But we conceded a terrible first goal - schoolboy stuff - and went asleep, On two goals we failed to mark on free-kicks. You're inviting trouble."
He added: "Credit to the lads for fighting, but there'll be one or two bruised hearts as we made it hard for ourselves.
"Lee Stephenson looked sharp and Chris Freestone is starting to settle with his new teammates."
Adam Jones had the first chance of the match in the second minute.
But five minutes later a kick from goalkeeper Steve Corry was flicked on by Chris Freestone, in his first home game for the club, and Lee Stephenson scored his first goal of the campaign after a lean pre-season spell.
Jason Turner equalised with a lob for Rothwell in the 27th minute after Corry failed to gather the ball.
From Andy Stanhope's corner kick two minutes later, Lynn skipper Glen Fuff's header was saved by Rothwell's ex-Wisbech keeper John Hughes.
On the half-hour mark Stephenson turned and shot again but his effort was tipped round the post. From the resulting corner Joby Gowshall headed wide.
Soon after, Stephenson had one attempt saved and a second shot tipped on to the bar in the 34th minute, while Gowshall's overhead kick also hit the bar.
On the stroke of half-time Lynn deservedly went ahead. Adam Jones surged forward and his long-range shot was deflected in by Rothwell's Danny Porter.
The second half was a goal-filled frenzy with Lynn making the first of many attempts within the first five minutes.
Stanhope crossed from the right and Freestone's header was beaten away by Hughes in the 50th minute.
Rothwell equalised again with a soft goal three minutes later from Turner's flick header.
Turner scored his hat trick in the 57th minute when Rothwell reacted quicker to a free-kick going loose.
Lynn's Louis Blois sustained a leg injury during the goal and was stretchered off shortly afterwards.
In the 64th minute Andy Greensmith headed a Wayne Anderson cross/shot over his own keeper for another bizarre own goal to make it 3-3.
Less than 60 seconds later Simon Underwood headed another goal home for The Bones' winner.
Linnets' keeper Corry made up for his earlier errors by making a couple of good second half saves, but ultimately he couldn't save Lynn from another defeat.
Stephenson had the best chance to rescue a point, but curled wide.
Lynn: Corry, Jones, Blois (Anderson 59), Raynor, Fuff ,Gowshall (Holmes 78), Stanhope (Johnson 72), Weston, Freestone, Stephenson, Staff. Not used: Bacon, Dobrowlski.
Rothwell: J. Hughes, D. Porter, R. Weals, R. Preston, D. Foley, J. Kearns, S. Underwood (M. Garside 82), O. Mintus, A. Greensmith, J. Turner, A. Sturgess (C. Lake 87). Not used: C. Thurlow, P. Rice.
Att: 583.
Shots on
Shots off
Free kicks
Lynn1339023 Fuff (63, foul)
Report by permission of the Lynn News