• blueandgold
  • amazon
  • facebook
  • easyfundraising
  • twitter
Blue & Gold Trust Official Website

Worksop Town 1 King's Lynn 3
20th August 1980
Paul Chapman stunned an eager Worksop side by scoring a goal when the odds looked totally against him.
He chased a well-struck pass from Keith Rudd, but the move was covered by defender Shirt who turned a pass back to his goalkeeper.
Chapman continued running in and stuck out his boot to push the ball into the goalmouth where he followed it in.
Another Worksop defender emerged, but he could not stop the persistent Chapman from forcing in Lynn's first goal in the 20th minute.
This was a fine piece of determination from the Lynn forward and delighted the small band of visiting supporters who had watched anxiously as Worksop had started the match at a fast pace.
The Midlanders were only inches away from taking the lead in the fourth minute. Ringwood took the pace off a hard shot from Myles but could not hold on to it and the ball bounced on the post and rebounded back into his hands.
Lynn could not get any moves going from mid-field where there was not enough good possession or distribution. Worksop took advantage and pushed Lynn into a ten man defence leaving Chapman a solitary figure upfield.
But the Lynn back four responded to the challenge and only one other clear chance fell to Worksop in the first half, Vardy shooting just wide from 15 yards.
In the 53rd minute Chapman struck again, this time with a perfect run on to Wright's through pass which left the Worksop defenders trailing yards behind. Chapman stayed cool as Evans rushed out and slid his shot low past the keeper.
Two minutes later Vardy found himself with only Ringwood to beat and fluffed the chance by shooting wide.
But Vardy made up for this by turning in an accurate volley when an attempted clearance from watts fell to his feet and Lynn were out of position.
This goal came in the 60th minute and encouraged Worksop to look for an equaliser. Four corners were forced in quick succession and all the play was around the Lynn goal, but steady play from Wright and Martyn Wiles in front of the alert Ringwood saw off the danger.
Duncan Wiles eventually came on for Pinkowski and this switch immediately paid dividends in the 81st minute, with Wiles running at the Worksop defence before pushing a pass out to Adams on the right.
Adams forced in one shot which rebounded off a defender's legs and he seized on the second chance to burst through and go round the goalkeeper to fire in his third goal in two goals.

Worksop: Evans, Cunnington, Conroy, Woods, Shirt, Galloway, Welch, Barrett, Fisher, Vardy, Miles. Sub: Hall
Lynn: Ringwood, Moyes, Wilson, M Wiles, Wright, Adams, Watts, Bailey, Pinkowski (sub D Wiles 77) Rudd, Chapman.
Attendance: 459
(John Moyes debut - 29 year old ex-Chesterfield and Boston United)
Report by permission of the Lynn News